The Official Godzilla Compendium By J.D. Lees

1. bat115 profile image75
    bat115posted 6 years ago

If you want to bone up on everything about Godzilla, check out "The Official Godzilla Compendium," by J.D. Lees and Marc Cerasini. The book was released in 1998 to cash in on the supposed to be next Summer event, Roland Emmerich's GINO ('Godzilla In Name Only' as it is known by G-Fans)

Lees is creator of G-Fan, a magazine devoted to the "King Of The Monsters," and Cerasini has written a few books in the "Godzilla" series of YA Books as well as many other titles. Other contributors include illustrator and comic artist Art Adams.

There is even a chapter written by Randall E. Osborne, an associate professor of Psychology at Indiana University, entitled, "Godzilla as a parenting tool" which uses scenes from the movies featuring Godzilla with his son Minnila.

The best parts of the book were the behind-the-scenes info and the filmography, which also includes a synopsis of all 22 "Godzilla" flicks and how each was adapted for American audiences.

Other interesting tidbits from "The Official Godzilla Compendium": The Big G isn't actually green, and you're probably wrong if you think you know how tall he stands.

If you can find this now out of print book, I reccomend it highly.

1. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

wow, sounds interesting! one of my son's favorite toys when he was really little was a walking Godzilla...his eyes lit up red when he walked around. he wasn't afraid of him though - he took him everywhere with him and called him "Godzy" big_smile

2. jellydonut25 profile image59
    jellydonut25posted 6 years ago

it is definitely a neat read. i've been told more than once that it's not the definitive or best 'encyclopedia' or 'compendium' for G fans, but I have it and I enjoy rifling through it from time to time...i have tried to avoid it recently as i don't want views/opinions from there to infiltrate my reviews that I've been doing on the Godzilla series...