jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Rage Factor - Say No to Simon Cowell

1. jenblacksheep profile image84
    jenblacksheepposted 6 years ago

I am trying to promote a campaign to get a song to Christmas No One in the UK that isn't the winning song on X Factor, for the first time in more years than I can remember.

I've just written a hub about this (I don't know if I'm allowed to publish the link or not). But basically, if you live in the UK and you don't like/intend to buy the X Factor winners single then you have to buy 'Killing In The Name Of'by Rage Against The Machine (odd choice I know) between the 13th and 20th of December.

Join the facebook group and tell your friends, so that even if the alternative single doesnt get to No.1 (which I admit is a long shot) it will at least get a lot of publicity and maybe more backing if we try again next year!!

1. DogSiDaed profile image59
      DogSiDaedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm going for this smile How many sales do you think it will take for it to happen?

2. jenblacksheep profile image84

Well 13 million people watch X Factor, but not all of them will buy the single, obviously. I think they reckon they need over a million people to buy the single for it to have any impact at all. I think there are a little over 200,000 who have joined the facebook group, and not all of them will actually buy the alternative single either. It IS a long shot, but hopefully it will still send a message out, even if it doesnt get to No.1

3. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

They will need to sell at least 250,000 copies to get to number 1 that week, probably more than that if Cowell buys 50,000 of his own singles (and that does go on).

I thought about doing this, but then came to the conclusion that Zack De La Rocha is a hyprocrite and that buying a single from Epic Records (a subsidiary of Sony) is no better than buying a record from Syco (also a subsidiary of Sony).

In fact, dont be suprised if that facebook group was set up by one of Simon Cowells marketing team.

Sorry, but shit idea.

4. jenblacksheep profile image84

I have heard people say that about them being owned by Simon Cowell anyway. If i was running the campaign I would pick a song that was being released near Christmas (that would be challenging for Xmas No.1 anyway) and get behind that.

To be honest I don't think it's being marketed well enough to be done by Simon Cowell (or any of his people), and I think the consequences would be pretty bad for him if anyone found out that he'd put an alternative against his own X Factor winner.

But at the end of the day, the point is just to send a message. I don't know if it will work. But i hate X Factor and I hate that it steals the Xmas No.1 every year, so what else can I do?

5. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

I have changed my mind, I am going to buy it. I dont think that they should have chosen a Sony track, they should have chosen an unsigned act, but I will buy it for the music. At least Rage, although hypocrites, wrote their own music!

6. jenblacksheep profile image84

That was a quick backtrack! Definitely bad song choice ... apparently last year it was Rick Astley, not surprised that didnt get anywhere. I don't know who else is releasing singles next week, but they should go for one of them, or keep Peter Kay's Children in Need song at No.1!!!

Haven't the X Factor contestants already had a No.1 with that Michael Jackson cover? I dno if it reached No.1 or not. How greedy do they wanna get!!!

7. Shinkicker profile image89
    Shinkickerposted 6 years ago

'Killing in the Name of' would be priceless as a Christmas No.1