jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)

Sinatra; best voice ever

1. 0
    cathinfranceposted 6 years ago

Anyone agree/disagree?

1. 60
      C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Its a tough call...Nat King Cole.....I like Harry Connick as well

2. tobey100 profile image62
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love listening to Sinatra but I'll tell ya what!  Listening to Michael Buble croon is dang close to magic.  He's definitely pushin' Frank

3. ftwells profile image60
      ftwellsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That would depend on the music, the song and the singer.   I also like Dean Martin, Sammy Davis. Heavens I do believe I am naming the so called 60s 'Rat Pack' That of course also included Frank Sintra. To me, one of the greatest singers, overlooked totally because of his race was Nat King Cole. Another great singer is Perry Como.

4. Rubysprings profile image61
      Rubyspringsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Anyone think Michael Bublé in some ways sounds like a modern Franky?

2. PrettyPanther profile image87
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

Sinatra was good at what he did, but to me, not the best voice ever.  How about Josh Groban, Nat King Cole, Freddie Mercury, Jim Reeves, Johnny Horton, Marvin Gaye . . .

Too many to choose!

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image89
    Mikel G Robertsposted 6 years ago

Bing? Elvis, the rest of the rat pack... I think you'll find as many opinions as there are people.

4. Hmrjmr1 profile image79
    Hmrjmr1posted 6 years ago

I'd have to throw Ray Charles in there too. But I have to admit Frank had a special appeal to the ladies throughout and beyond his active recording period. Seems to be universal.

5. BEAUTYBABE profile image85
    BEAUTYBABEposted 6 years ago

You can't go past "Old Blue Eyes" in my book. Even in his death he is still remembered. Although Harry Connick Jnr sounds so like him when he sings. His music is still played at parties and musical evenings to this day.I still watch his movies when they come up on Foxtel channels. I just think he was great.   BB

6. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

The "crooner" style of singing does nothing for me at all, so my only reply can be, "no comment"

7. manlypoetryman profile image69
    manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago

Yep...I agree!

8. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

Personally, of the singers of that era, I think Dean Martin was the best.

1. Gregg Biancci profile image80
      Gregg Biancciposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree, I really like frank sinatra - but I have to say Dean Martin always sounded smoother to me.   

Lou Rawls has a fantastic voice as well.

9. Beth100 profile image83
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

His voice was one of many...Michael Buble is close on his heels and has a refreshing tone

10. Gregg Biancci profile image80
    Gregg Biancciposted 6 years ago

Mel Tormé, the velvet fog.

11. Rayalternately profile image60
    Rayalternatelyposted 6 years ago

Music's not a competition but Sinatra was a great singer. So are others.

1. ftwells profile image60
      ftwellsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Music should not be a competition, but unfortunately what is consitutes music today is a competition.

12. Dolores Monet profile image92
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

It doesn't matter if Frank Sinatra didn't have the greatest voice - he was the greatest singer of the 20the century no holds barred.(whatever that means)

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
      Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, that seems a bit more like an opinion than a fact, all due respect. But on a personal basis, he's right up there in my book as well. smile

This was mentioned, but not elaborated on: it really needs to be categorized by genre or style. Crooners were a dime a dozen through most of the 20th century, and now the style has migrated and evolved quite a bit. Sinatra was definitely one of the best crooners. Best vocalist of all time is a hard thing to pin down. Stats like record sales could help determine that, perhaps.

13. FREEWORKING profile image60
    FREEWORKINGposted 6 years ago