jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)

U2 and God ?

1. U2TOURFANS profile image60
    U2TOURFANSposted 6 years ago

So most people think U2 has over rated the use of God within their songs

1. MontyP profile image60
      MontyPposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think it is central to their music, to their creativity. If it important to them write it!!

2. 0
      Madame Xposted 6 years ago in reply to this

3. 60
      (Q)posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I thought Bono was a Jesus freak, that would explain it.

2. theageofcake profile image76
    theageofcakeposted 6 years ago

3. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 6 years ago

I think U2 is one of the most inspirational bands of all time...love and have every CD...I believe it is central to their music as MontyP stated.

4. mkott profile image79
    mkottposted 6 years ago

It is who they are and reflects much of what goes on around them.  Go to Ireland once and you will see where Bono and the guys are coming from in their music.  Seeing them in concert is very spiritual and combine that with the music, the energy that is produced during a concert is something one will not forget.  It all goes together to reate what is so great about them.

1. 61
      Andrew49posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I must have missed the U2 songs on the widespread abuse of children by the Irish representatives of God - namely the bishops who covered up the abuses and facilitated the abusers, abusers who happened to be priests and members of Religious Orders. 

Bono in particular would be well able to articulate the kind of society that he came from yet he hasn't in any instance articulated, in his music, anything about the Irish Child Gulags and Magdalen Asylums that incarcerated women and children ! 

That said U2 concerts ARE unforgettable and Bono in particular is a humanitarian and has supported victims/survivors of abuse and shamed the Irish Government.   But as to spirituality .... I think I have more Sympathy for the Devil than any reference to God in the music of U2.

1. 6 String Veteran profile image88
        6 String Veteranposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not to mention those curious hand symbols (ala Prince, JZ, MJ, etc.) that Bono is fond of doing while performing...

5. alexandriaruthk profile image54
    alexandriaruthkposted 6 years ago

theyre great doing it...U@ Fan forever

6. 0
    A Texanposted 6 years ago

Whats a U2?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image54
      alexandriaruthkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL, U too! a Fan??

1. 0
        A Texanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't like Planes they scare me

LOL you made me smile

1. 0
            A Texanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Glad I could, have a nice day!

U TOO!!

7. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

U2 is extremely talented;  I LOVE U2!

...But...what do you mean about referring to God too much?

Aren't most of their songs NOT about God?  or at least not specifically God or some non-specific god?...

Maybe I'm not up on most of their stuff.
    I just love "Still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin' For"
    and   "In the Name of Love", etc.....

8. blake4d profile image77
    blake4dposted 6 years ago

Actually I think God has over used the letter U and the number 2. People tell me all of the that time that God Loves U2.

9. TheGlassSpider profile image80
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

It's funny this thread comes up. It was "holy week" ten years ago that I was vising Ireland...a cab-driver in Dublin told my friends and I where Bono lived. (Oh man, I was so excited I LOVE U2). So we took a DART--a train (electric maybe) to this big hill where it was obvious well-to-do people lived. And we went up the wrong side (the long side) of the road. We made it all the way up the hill, then found Bono's house. It was across the street from some politician's house...I can't remember now.

But the gates were huge...big copper plates on, and inscribed with some poetic verse. We took pictures and video. We were considering ringing the doorbell when somebody yelled at us through the intercom.

HAHAHA...was fun.

I got to see them live in DC as well. Awesome concert. (But it paled in comparison to Pink Floyd. wink Sorry, Bono).

ETA: Oh yeah...God question. Man, it's their music. God's important to them and sometimes they express it through their music. That's cool, it's beautiful...they also express some of the best of human nature, the worst of human nature, they touch on human sexuality, suffering, love...very inspired group.