jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

1. chronage profile image61
    chronageposted 6 years ago

What are your thought's on Avatar i thought it was definately different

1. theageofcake profile image76
      theageofcakeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Story-wise, its more of the same "white men threaten savages, single white dissenter comes to understand and respect the savages, white dissenter leads the fight against other antagonistic white men, thereby saving the savages" formula.  Visually its cool.  Far from the best (or most unique) movie of the year, but definitely entertaining.

2. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

My husband loved it.

I got incredibly bored and didn't finish watching it.
    There's something just too goofy about blue "men" with long cat-like tails.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wrote a hub about it. I thought the plot was ho-hum, but the special effects were riveting!!

3. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 6 years ago

I thought it was good. I saw it in 3D and felt like I was in the movie. The floating seeds from the tree were pretty... jellyfish-esque. Neytiri's character was beautiful. Dr. Grace was awesome, I've met botanists and most are boring, but was a badass. I liked Michelle Rodriguez's character as well. I like having strong women in movies.

It reminded me of Fern Gully smile Which was my favorite movie when I was little.

Fern Gully was great.

I didn't expect the 3D to make a huge difference (Coraline was shot in 3D, for example, and the experience did not feel terribly enhanced to me), but audience responses seem to correlate pretty consistently with whether or not they saw it in its "enhanced format."  I personally did not see it 3D, and was not totally floored or engrossed.  My friends, who saw it in 3D, really loved it.  I guess I missed out.

4. Colebabie profile image61

Maybe, I didn't see it both ways so I don't know how much of a difference it makes. And what is with the whole "white" thing? Does that matter in the movie? And is that the case with this theme?

For me, and a number of critics who probably read way too much into everything, this movie reflects the age old story of the inherent greed of the Western world.

It doesn't take much to see The Na'vi as bearing a significant resemblance to American natives, and the humans invading Pandora as Western explorers claiming something that is not their own and capitalizing on natural resources. 

And sure, I'm all for a movie that knocks Western civilization down a peg, but Avatar's story is really unoriginal.  Dances With Wolves pretty much did the same thing, and District 9 took that story and applied it to literal extraterrestrial beings in a much more interesting way earlier this year.

5. Colebabie profile image61

Or just greed period. Everything that you say makes perfect sense. But if they had chosen Will Smith as the central character, all of the themes and parallels would still be the same.

6. jellydonut25 profile image62
    jellydonut25posted 6 years ago

Avatar was good...but I saw it in 3D and I really think that makes a difference because going back over and thinking about the story...

it really played it safe and stupid. It was too predictable and the more I think about the story, the less I like the movie

Especially when I compare it to movies that were better from just THIS YEAR like District 9 and Moon

7. Jenny30 profile image60
    Jenny30posted 6 years ago

I thought is was a great movie. I would think it would probably be better viewing it in 3D!!! I thought it was really cool! smile