jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (26 posts)

Which musical do you think has stood the test of time?

1. thirdmillenium profile image71
    thirdmilleniumposted 7 years ago

I think it is Fiddler on the Roof.  Or is it Seven brides for seven brothers?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image91
      Arthur Fontesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Fiddler on the Roof

2. Has_aWayWithWords profile image80
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 7 years ago

the sound of music seems to be the one that even today kids get into, I think as far as a musical that spans generations and creates interest even from children that is the one that comes to mind. I personally like the music man and the pajama game

1. Mama Sez profile image81
      Mama Sezposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree, Sound of Music is a Classic.  My favorite line....in my childhood, I must have done something good. I love it big_smile

1. Sa Toya profile image87
        Sa Toyaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I concur- Sound of Music- legendary! Every song is amazing. I love the bit where the girls start crying at the table after pestering Maria, and she makes it out they're such good kids

Grease is a good one and so too is Fiddler on The Roof - real classic there

I'm also gonna add The Wizard of Oz- everything the lion and scarecrow says is funny. Somewhere over the Rainbow is amaing

Love all three big_smile

3. Arthur Fontes profile image91
    Arthur Fontesposted 7 years ago

I forgot about Grease.

4. GeneralHowitzer profile image64
    GeneralHowitzerposted 7 years ago

Cats

5. Arthur Fontes profile image91
    Arthur Fontesposted 7 years ago

Movie or stage??

6. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

West Side Story has stood the test of time well.

7. ume blossom profile image60
    ume blossomposted 7 years ago

definitely The Sound Of Music!

8. Daniel Carter profile image89
    Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago

West Side Story was considered one of the biggest gambles in its day because it was considered very controversial, due to the racial overtones, the murder on stage, and several other factors. It shocked the public, in fact, but obviously in the positive ways intended.

As a result, it is considered one of the "holy trinity" of musicals on Broadway, having influenced dozens of other shows to follow its lead. I don't know that it's the most influential, because "A Chorus Line" also revolutionized Broadway in a different way. There are also others that have changed the dynamic of stage musicals, but these are just a couple.

It would be hard to narrow down to one or two shows which would be considered the most timeless.

9. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 7 years ago

All excellent choices here and I concur but would add Phantom of the Opera to the list as well.

1. Sa Toya profile image87
      Sa Toyaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes yes yes big_smile

I can't believe I forgot this.

It's my fave musical I think- I forgot it was a musical lol

This wins for me followed by all I've I mentioned cool

10. dyesebel10 profile image80
    dyesebel10posted 7 years ago

Miss Saigon

11. Mike Lickteig profile image87
    Mike Lickteigposted 7 years ago

Camelot.  Timeless story that always captures the imagination.  Good music as well.

12. 0
    cosetteposted 7 years ago

i agree with Cats, The Sound of Music and West Side Story. i also love RENT, although it is still fairly new. one of the best shows i ever saw live...

13. TheSituation profile image79
    TheSituationposted 7 years ago

Sounds of music for sure. 

I think Rent will because of how great the music is

14. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

"The King and I" probably at least belongs on the list, but all of the Rogers and Hammerstein ones are great-- and since they are old "test of time" applies.  Then there's always Gilbert and Sullivan-- and  earlier operas like Aida, and Madame Butterfly.

1. The Rope profile image60
      The Ropeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Definately "The King and I" has to be on the list but you're right - any R&H is excellent!

15. TheSituation profile image79
    TheSituationposted 7 years ago

Guys and Dolls as well

1. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

oh i love that one! we used to make new lyrics to "Can Do" for parties at work and stuff. here's a great parody of that song Can Read - Sesame Street:

16. yenajeon profile image82
    yenajeonposted 7 years ago

Definitely My Fair Lady. Audrey Hepburn remains a classic!

1. RainySunshine profile image60
      RainySunshineposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh, I liked that one too!!

I think Phantom of the Opera has stood the test of time as well.

17. BEAUTYBABE profile image86
    BEAUTYBABEposted 7 years ago

I think one Musical that goes right back to the beginning and was probably one of the most popular was the one made with Julie Andrew called 'The Sound of Music" I don't think you can go past that, the music is still sung all over the world.

18. NewYorker profile image80
    NewYorkerposted 7 years ago

Considering I only saw Rent, CATS and Grease..

None.

19. Alessia Amnesia profile image58
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 7 years ago

The Rocky Horror Picture Show, an instant cult classic that still gets a lot of attention today. It exposed the secret world of lust and I don't know a single person who dislikes it.

working