Is Bob Dylan over-rated?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (28 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Is he still relevant?

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I went to one of his concerts recently and I was disappointed. I don`t think he`s doing anything relavent any longer and his singing isn`t too good. Also his shows are kinda boring and his picture policy is way too strict. He was good though back in the day!

2. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 14 years ago

No, he is not over rated. 

And yes, he is still relevant.

His 2001 album "Love and Theft" was number two on Newsweek's top albums of the decade. 

An exceptional work, but in my opinion, the follow-up to it, "Modern Times", released a year after Katrina, is even better, musically & lyrically.

Toss in "Together Through Life" released in the spring of 2009, a fine work of bluesy story songs, along with "Christmas In The Heart" in October & we see an artist with lots of mileage still being a creative force.

All the proceeds from the Christmas album were donated to Feed America, so his social conscience also remains alive & well.

I admit I am biased.  I wrote a hub called "How Does It Feel?" about his music & its impact on me.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Have you ever bothered to listen to his music and understand his lyrics? hmm
    Guess not.... or you wouldn't need to ask the question of such a talented artist and writer sad

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey  I give an excerpt from one of my hubs here. I am not allowed of course to give  give the URL. But you can easily find it, ..........

Which brings us to the quintessence of American response with the Monkees who were unabashedly just another Beatles, the Archies and the Beach Boys. Many amongst the readers must be shocked that Brian Wilson should have been included in this list but even his die-hard fans (this writer is one) would agree that the raw energy of Lennon and McCartney was clearly missing even in the peppiest numbers the Beach Boys belted out. An unlikely hero emerged out of nowhere and surpassed even the Lennon and McCartney team. Shedding his Jewish name, a Woodie Guthrie fanatic, now named Bob Dylan, with a nasal twang burst on the scene and held sway. Critics soon lampooned him for turning electric but he went on doggedly, and thank God for that!

i am a die-hard or even died-hard fan of his!

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

there is no one else like Dylan. he has a huge fan base because he's the real thing.

5. Happyontheinside profile image71
    Happyontheinsideposted 14 years ago

one word;

SACRILEDGE

*hrumph*

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

whats that? a bookshelf for a bible?

Ive skipped the recent live concerts, Dylan has come by a couple of times in the last couple of years, his voice is shot...it takes about 2 hours of pre-game partying and pot smoking in the parking lot to actually enjoy a performance nowadays. (So I hear)

recent live performances on TV seem to illustrate this problem with his voice too.

IS he relevant! of course, still an amazing writer and american icon and a continued source of inspiration for many...but as a big fan, I still have to say I would rather hear a mastered and produced recording than a live show nowadays

1. Sally's Trove profile image76
        Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

And adding that his singular horrible musical voice (it was horrible then; it is horrible now) opened many doors for young people to pick up a guitar, write lyrics and a melody, and not worry too much about the vocal quality of the delivery...they just sang their hearts out and so did their friends. It was a kind of freedom.

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Dylan-no.
    Lady Gaga-yes.

7. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I like his songs, but prefer other people to sing them. His voice is out of tune and grates on me.

8. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Is Bob Dylan over-rated?

Is he still alive?

9. Shinkicker profile image52
    Shinkickerposted 14 years ago

Never overrated and always relevant as music is timeless and his words were superb.

10. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Yes

11. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

YES, definitely overrated. His voice would make a lovesick moose turn celibate.

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry folks, I grew up in the Dylan was a god age.  Didn't buy it then, don't now that he's older.

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure he is dead and nobody has told him yet.

2. Jim Strutzin profile image81
      Jim Strutzinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I almost can't believe what I'm hearing. Asking if a man who has over 50 years of solid music (sure some of the new stuff is questionable, the old stuff legendary) and an icon in folk and American rock as a whole is overrated is just baffling!

One of the best songwriters in history hands down, and as I mentioned before, a large influence on American music and countless artists apparently aren't enough credentials.

Granted, his voice isn't the best, but it has a lot of personality and is at very least unique. If you judge music strictly on vocal quality and how many octives one can hit, Mariah Carey would be the best artist of all time.

12. Bard of Ely profile image81
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Dylan in my opinion is a genius and he was the singer and writer that inspired me to become a singer-songwriter.

1. Tom Cornett profile image82
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree..."Blowin' In The Wind"...a master piece.

13. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Speaking of being dead or Bob Dylan....................

Texan, heard a fairly good one for ya.  The reason they don't know how much oil's in Texas is because all the dipsticks are in Washington DC

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is good!

14. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 14 years ago

bob dylan as a singer horrible, but hes a good writer. to me hes like neal young when there on the radio i change to another station.Id like to add neither of them have as many hits as ac/dc, clapton, aerosmith,lynard skynard,or the who!

15. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

Have you ever listened to his songs or heard his story and who he is as a person? If so, you would know that he is one of the greatest lyric writers of the past 50 years. Here are just a few of his masterpieces.

Blowing in the Wind-
    Was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999. Sam Cooke was influenced by this song, thinking it could be about racial injustice-and he wrote A Change is Gonna Come-which is said to be largely influenced by Dylan. This Song was also preformed by Peter Paul & Mary in the early 60’s, when Dylan wasn’t as known-it was a #2 hit in 1963 for them.
    Like a Rolling Stone-
    Was a big hit as well. In its time the average song was only about 3 minutes long-Like a Rolling Stone is 6 minutes and 13 seconds. It was pretty much unheard of for any song of that length to get radio play-but it did, songs with so many different lyrics from verse to verse usually did not do well commercially-but it did.
    The Hurricane-
    Was written by Dylan to tell the story of a Black Boxer-Ruben Carter who was wrongly prosecuted and sentenced for murdering 3 white people in New Jersey in 1966. About 8 years into his life sentence-Carter sent Dylan his autobiography which intrigued Dylan enough to go visit Carter-after the visit is when The Hurricane was written-to bring attention to racial injustice in the case of Ruben ‘Hurricane’ Carter.
    Mr. Tambourine Man-
    Was another hit of Dylan’s-Written in reference to the use of drugs to escape a troubled reality. The drugs referenced including Crystal Meth, LSD, Heroine as well as their distribution. At that time, it was not allowed/approved to write about such things, so he wrote about it in a different sense, using forgotten terms such as Mr. Tambourine Man (which was a old fashion word for drug dealer-as well as a the man that leads the funeral procession in New Orleans Louisiana).

A man who has influenced, spoken up for and brought attention to so many people and issues, could never be considered ‘Over Rated’, that is like saying that Van Gogh is over Rated for his artwork or Jesus is over rated due to the Bible. But that is just my opinion. It was writers such as he who allow others to write and express themselves freely. His way of thinking probably influenced someone that has influenced each and every one of us...But that is just my opinion (and I love every masterpiece Dylan has created)  smile

16. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Never was a fan...granted I'm sure he is more relevant to those who grew up listening to his music unlike me.

I don't want to say he is overrated as I just don't understand his fandom but there is a reason for it.

So I respect that though I don't like his music personally.

17. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Well, it was freedom for the singer, not for the listener. big_smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image76
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL...you had to be there to understand that freedom of listening. In the early years, it was a time with a cause and a purpose: if the words rang true and struck a nerve, if the beat held strong, and if there were plenty of coffee and smokes in a brick-walled coffee house, the listener was free, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)