jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

cameron hype

1. mr. daydream profile image61
    mr. daydreamposted 6 years ago

Avatar's become another Titanic size box office hit, is it really that good?

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Go and see it. Your tastes will vary from mine.

2. jellydonut25 profile image59
      jellydonut25posted 6 years ago in reply to this

in a word, NO...

not bad...just not THAT good

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
        Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

yeah, but to be fair, in terms of story wise, "Titanic" wasn't THAT good either, but it wasn't bad.  just a decent romance film that caught a good break due to a lot of hype.  same with avatar, its a sci-fi epic film, that caught a great break around the holidays.

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

The pricing measures used to compare older, via inflation adjustment is skewed quite a bit and always has been.

Movies are subjective to different pricing all over the world, and to compare new ones to old ones, that have many years separating them is foolish.

However, I've not yet seen Avatar. But, then again I didn't think Titanic was all that great of a movie.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

your right about all that.  however, i would also like to point out to add to what you just said, is that Avatar has an advantage since cinemas not only show it in traditional format.  There's also the 3-D version that's still in theaters, and that costs more than a normal version of the film, where as Titanic solely relied on a traditional 2-d version being in theaters.  Therefore, that gave Avatar a huge advantage to rake in a few extra dollars per show.  which may not seem like that much, but it really adds up over time.  smile

3. MikeNV profile image76
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

There doesn't appear to be a lot on the market right now that it has to compete with.