watching scary movie... what can stop it being scary?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (42 posts)
  1. salt profile image61
    saltposted 14 years ago

Im not good at scary movies...

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't watch scary movies lol

2. profile image0
      Contriceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right, just don't watch them.  But if you do keep the lights on and remember...IT'S NOT REAL, THEY ARE JUST MOVIES. big_smile

3. profile image0
      MrMidNightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I say if you really want to watch a scary movie, but too scared yourself to open ur eyes and watch it, do this, just laugh at the foolish highjinks of the victims who try to escape whatever is chasing them...

4. brimancandy profile image80
      brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It can stop being scary for me as soon as I see the title. If the title says "Scream", "Saw", Friday the 13th", or "Halloween." I already know it is going to suck. Saves me from watching it at all.

There are a few other crappy movie franchises out there that I refuse to watch, so I am pretty safe from being scared by a movie.

The only movie that actually scared me was Aliens. The first time I saw that in the theater my fingers were sore from a deathgrip on my armrest.
      It was also a damn good movie.

5. brimancandy profile image80

Just one more thing I can think of. (Having a funny moment.)

As the movie progresses flash pictures of Sarah Palin, followed by quick pictures of George Bush Jr. and Dick Cheney....maybe throw in a few fallen Televangelists.....Oh wait a minute? That's too scary!!!

6. OpinionDuck profile image60
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The movie is less scary, when the commercials come on.

7. ImChemist profile image58
      ImChemistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

After watching a lot of scary films , its not scare me any more , i take the immunity against it. hahha

2. Drwibble profile image61
    Drwibbleposted 14 years ago

Switch of the sound at the scary bits. You will be amazed how less scary the movie becomes or that does not work for you resort to a pillow

3. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Iono. I don't find any scary movies too scary...I guess suspense.

4. salt profile image61
    saltposted 14 years ago

torimari, I love your bird....

and I know, I dont usually watch them..because I dont like my brain being filled with that sort of thing. Yet its pretty healthy to watch some so that you know that not all people, even if the human spirit is beautiful underneath, have your best intentions at heart.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is insightful, and I think it's interesting (in a sort of masochistic way) that you would attempt to watch horror movies for this reason. I also agree with you. (Although I am also reaching the point at which I've had enough of them--I've seen FAR too many horror films. Hundreds.)

Stephen King has written that horror movies also make us face the terrifying nature of our own death--every time someone dies on the screen, some little part of ourselves thinks/knows "One day, somehow, that will be me." And of course, he's not the only one who talks about the ways that horror can be edifying.

It's sort of a way to get used to the idea that we're going to die...and in a twisted sort of way, it's comforting. If a horror movie really does a good job, we can be somewhat comforted by the idea that we *probably* will not die *that* terribly--I mean, at least we won't get eaten by a monster, or turned into zombies (although those are symbolic of the living death, which is-in some respects-even scarier than regular death), or anything of that sort.

Just remember it's only a movie wink Even if it echoes the truth. Try not to worry about the inevitable. And if the movies are too much...just turn them off and put on a good comedy--they're about life as well. smile

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Offer your partner a lap dance during the scary parts!big_smile

6. salt profile image61
    saltposted 14 years ago

sorry, not really on that level..not my idea of fun -

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well that was a joke not a real suggestion I'm sorry you don't know how to laugh.smile

1. drej2522 profile image68
        drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

sneaks, suggestion...say something funny and you may get the response you are looking for! smile

7. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

In my 20s I watched scarey movies a lot - before that the home video wasn't invented!
    Since then, well I'm not interested. Real life is scarey enough without adding to it smile

8. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I don't watch them either, but why would you even watch a scary movie if you don't want it to be scary? If you could keep it from being scary, what's the point.  A scary movie that isn't scary is a failure.

9. Megavitamin profile image69
    Megavitaminposted 14 years ago

I tried talking through (not in a movie theater, of course) and making fun of "Dawn of the Dead" and that worked...at least during the movie.  It freaked me out after it was over.  I still have visions of zombies climbing all over my car 4 years later! 

Try horror comedies like "Ghostbusters" or "Monster Squad" instead (I actually wrote a hub about the highest money making ones).  Maybe those will help you warm up to the really scary ones.  Good luck :0)

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

agreed...find a way to make it funny...laughter can trump fear, sometimes...

10. ___RaeRae profile image60
    ___RaeRaeposted 14 years ago

just remember ihts only a movie haha

11. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

picture the killer(s) with no clothes. that will either turn you on or make you laugh. either way it's not scary any more. good luck.

1. brimancandy profile image80

I don't think picturing freddy kruger or Jason from Friday the 13th is going to help much, as they are pretty gross to look at. There aren't very many pretty killers out there in the movie world.

That would only gross me out more.

12. mythbuster profile image73
    mythbusterposted 14 years ago

salt,

If you are going to watch a scary movie and wish to lower the impact the scary scenes have on you, something that might help is to find out a lot of information about the movie before you start to watch the movie. If you look up the movie on Internet Movie Data Base, Rotten Tomatoes or another movie site, you might find reader reviews, movie summaries, etc. Knowing a bit about the plot a movie will follow should decrease your fears by a sizeable degree. You'll probably end up finding out all the 'spoiler' information unless you're very careful about how much you read and which links you click on at the movie sites. I often find that reading everything about a movie, even right through the spoiler warning doesn't actually spoil a show for me - usually it's the gore, special effects and music/sound effects that set off a good scare for me despite whether or not I've read the 'spoiler information' on a film or not.

13. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 14 years ago

A big strong LT. sitting with you helps.

14. philmaguire profile image66
    philmaguireposted 13 years ago

Sorry, am I mising something? Why watch a scary movie and not be scared? That is like saying I want to watch a comedy but not laugh.

I do not find most scary movies at all scary because they do not involve me. It has been a staple of horror movies since the earliest days that you have to do something in order to bring the horror onto you. For example, you have to enter Tutankhamon's tomb to be cursed, or you have to go to Transylvannia to meet Count Dracula or you have to go into that haunted house/asylum/hospital to be gored to death by vengeful ghosts/demons. Some movies like Witchboard,  Nightmare on Elm Street and the Fog try to bring the horror to you by placing the horror in ordinary settings with ordinary people and suggest that it could happen to you. The problem is that they either happen because you do something (play with a oiuja board in Witchboard), live in the wrong place (the Fog) or are born to the wrong parents (Nightmare). So as long as I am none of those things, I am safe and there is no scare. And so are you.

15. Glimmer515 profile image60
    Glimmer515posted 13 years ago

Simple answer! Turn down the Sound! U will be amazed what a difference it makes!

16. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 13 years ago

You can also watch the making of the scary movie. That's what my husband suggested when I said I'm to scared to watch a scary movie big_smile.

17. profile image0
    askpowersposted 13 years ago

SSSSHHHhhhhhhhh....

Turn off Speakers... smile)

Well I have watched so many scary movies but not alone smile, always with my little bro. and its really fun when some scary thing suddenly comes in front and it seems heart is getting out ... smile

18. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

I really enjoy scary movies. When I was 6 year old kid. My elder brother brought a movie. According to me that was not scary and i had charm to watch movies. I asked him to play but he said its not for you.. I insisted and he agreed.
    When he played, everything went normal in first 10 mins, but suddenly i say extremely scary thing and just shouted what is this.. i was really very scared of those aliens. After watching part of that movie i could'nt sleep for many days.. i used to hide my face in blanket and closed eyes...
    My brother then told me that these things are not existed in our world. If they were in our world everything would had destroyed. He started counseling me and then i controlled my fear. With the passage of time i overcome my fear.
    I have studies psychology, and when i come to know that what fear is, from then i enjoy watching those scary movies. Fear is nothing its just our internal feeling. We can easily control it. You know some people die in youth, some in old age and some right after their birth. What we can expect that when we will die... its the feeling which we can control.
    There is nothing beyond death, So fear not ...

19. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

The whole point of watching a scary movie is to be scared by it.  If you take the scary out of it, you might just as well watch a comedy.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah - what would be the point?

20. Andy Webb profile image65
    Andy Webbposted 13 years ago

Most scary movies are too in your face, delivering blood, gore and violence as a way of trying to scare you and make you cringe, yet this doesn’t work, or at least not for me.

By not allowing me to imagine the worst, to be freaked out by the unexpected is what stops a scary movie being scary.

21. Thunder Vixen profile image63
    Thunder Vixenposted 13 years ago

Turn the sound off, it's the sound that draws you in to scare you. That's one of the first things you learn about scary movies in a film class.

22. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

There's a movie (don't know what it's called) that looks as though it's filmed by ameteurs with a video camera. It documents a group of people lost in the woods. Weird things keep happening, and members of the group disappear one after the other, and some are found dead (with all the blood and gore etc.). It ends in a derelict house, with the camera shuddering and the screen going black as the last member is killed by whatever it is ... Apparently, the camera was later found in the derelict house, and the people in the movie really are missing ...

Anyway, a scary movie never scares me because I know it's only a movie, but was this one only a movie?

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it was. It's called The Blairwitch Project.

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I've heard of that (who hasn't?), but I didn't know I'd seen it smile Thanks!

2. profile image53
      courtz2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

there is a new one out now because the found the night vision camara its called the blair with project: the secrets of the shadows

23. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 13 years ago

I LOVE scary movies!!!!  The scarier the better!  I love scaring the crap out of myself!!  As far as advice goes, imagine the actor with all the scary make-up on, going through the process of putting on the make-up.  Watch some behind the scenes stuff to get an idea of what it all entails.  It's kind of a mental reminder that it's all fake.

24. matherese profile image61
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

Scary movies are really scary!

25. Shido profile image60
    Shidoposted 13 years ago

Just noticed the question.. and it is interesting to see the different ways people have responded.. I took the question as 'What can spoil a scary movie?'  And, for me, the answer is improvised comedy at the scariest moment.  Example:  "Heeeere's John-ny!"

Kubrick has proven himself a great director by the majority of his motion-pictures but the Stephen King tale, The Shining (1980), was ruined the moment Jack Nicholson uttered those words through an axed hole in a bathroom door.  Ruined!  That one scene took all of the momentum out of a picture that had had a very slow build-up.  It's as if Kubrick, back in England, got up one day and said, "Look, I'm having home troubles right now.  Just print it and I'll sign off on whatever!" -- and maybe he did!

26. Don Ship profile image74
    Don Shipposted 13 years ago

Scary movies are for scary people. tongue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)