jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)

Is stripping an art form?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
    Stevennix2001posted 7 years ago

A while back, someone told me they firmly believed that stripteasing was an art form.  not sure, I quite agree, as I always viewed it as playful banter for  lovers in the bedroom, or something you'd see at certain clubs.  lol.  however, i just thought i'd get your take on it.

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 7 years ago in reply to this

On behalf of you hubbers I might be willing to Investigate this ! smile

2. Faybe Bay profile image84
    Faybe Bayposted 7 years ago

A movie man, have you ever seen the original Gypsy, with Natalie Wood? There's a scene where the strippers explain about the art. I'll see if I can hunt it up for you. I worked as a bar maid in a club, and yes it is an art.

Stevennix2001posted 7 years ago in reply to this

that's cool.  i don't think i've seen thaat movie. however, i will definitely check it out though.  thanks for the tip.  smile

1. Faybe Bay profile image84
        Faybe Bayposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is before your time, this seen is the burlesque strippers trying to explain how You Gotta Get A Gimmick. Very campy. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFRSawe33sA

Stevennix2001posted 7 years ago in reply to this

lol.  it looks campy.  although the style of that one scene you showed me seems to have the same comedic flair as "singin in the rain."  thanks for telling me about it faybe. i love watching old movies, so i'll definitely be sure to check it out next time i rent out a video. smile

Oh my gosh. I have to say this was a total pick me up. I was blue all day, headache, lousy weather. Now I have inspiration for a hub, and maybe even a short series of hubs, almost a book? Thank you! smile

2. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

classic flick, nice video find.  natalie wood was stunning in it and it was a scathing yet oddly sympathetic commentary about stage mothers.  wasn't rosalind russell the mother in the filmed version?  I think on broadway it was ethel merman.

Yeah, in fact Ethel Merman I think, is the reason Mama Rose was always a large woman, if memory serves, she wasn't, or something like that... Shoot now I gotta go do the trivia thing... smile

1. profile image0

thx, thought so.  I'm actually a sincere Ethel Merman fan.  I loved her in "Annie Get Your Gun" from the soundtrack but the only movie version I could find was the one with Betty Hutton.  That was good too, but Ethel had the sweetest voice.

I feel a hub coming on! Yeah, Mama Rose was written for Ethel Merman, in the Musical, and had no resemblance to their real life mother... Who later ran a Lesbian Boarding House? YEAH. Okay I have research. big_smile

1. profile image0

Well, if you write it you have a sure reader in me.

3. Pearldiver profile image88
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

Based on the content of another current thread here on premature attention spans.... I really don't think it would be advisible to openly discuss Stripping with those who have a tendency to get too excited lol

4. Rayalternately profile image61
    Rayalternatelyposted 7 years ago

It's just dance without clothes, and dance can be an art form...

like all things, context is important. The rambert ballet company is artistic dance, your dad at a wedding disco, isn't! tongue

5. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 7 years ago

For the girls that are fortunate enough to work in what I would say are classier clubs then yes, they have to perform to give the visual of a fantasy in order to make their tips. It's not just about dancing around the stage half off your rocker so you can get the courage to take your top off.

6. ThoughtfulSpot profile image82
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 7 years ago

I agree that, it can be, but is not necessarily always.  Its tough since "art" and the definition of "art" is totally subjective.  I, personally, consider burlesque a legitimate art form, and dance style.  Some stripping falls into this type of category, and some is just about getting clothes off to get a... um... rise out of patrons (not to mention getting their money out of their wallet.)

So, I guess, I would say that stripping can be an art, if performed "artfully."  Or, it can just be quite literally, stripping.

7. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

Stripping is an art form when it is done it good taste smile

8. blue dog profile image80
    blue dogposted 7 years ago
    1. profile image0

lol!  wonderful find.  the song reminds me of "The Full Monty" which is oddly related.  I watched it twice yikes

working