jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)

Maybe a little less than "main-stream" music

1. Cathi Sutton profile image82
    Cathi Suttonposted 6 years ago

I thought it would be fun to trade music flavors and find out what non-main-stream music and artists other Hubbers are listening to right now.  I love music and as I'm sure many others do, "live my life on a sound track".  I started collecting albums in the fifth grade with my first purchase. (An Iron Butterfly LP).  Went to concerts as diverse as Humble Pie and Tex Ritter.  So here's a link to something that may not be on everyone's top ten play list... and yours!
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8 … fr2=rs-top

1. 6 String Veteran profile image87
      6 String Veteranposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Many of the folks I admire are not mainstream:

Anton Oparin (Russian virtuoso / child prodigy guitarist),
      Steve Coleman with or w/o his Five Elements (contemp Jazz sax player), G.S. Sachdev (Indian flute player),
      Ben Monder, Adam Rogers (more contemp Jazz, but gtr this time)
      ...there are more so I might give it more thought and post later.

Great Topic, btw.

2. goldenpath profile image81
    goldenpathposted 6 years ago

When on the internet I listen to KCSI classical on the net.

3. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

I like many kinds of music.  Right now I am listening to this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyNi56Yq … re=related

Most of what I like is not played on radio stations in my area, but with the Internet, anything is available.

4. CarrieMoon profile image61
    CarrieMoonposted 5 years ago

Gary Numan, Nine inch nails, tori amos, modwheelmood, placebo

5. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago

Jesse Cook Live Montreal

6. Jaggedfrost profile image87
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

7. Johnnie Black profile image62
    Johnnie Blackposted 5 years ago

I quite like The Hellacopters

8. TwoPints profile image61
    TwoPintsposted 5 years ago

Ya its very hard to enjoy music on the radio, most stations play tripe on a continuous basis. I found a local alternative station here in Dublin that I like, but even that gets repetitive after a while. Have you tryed Lastfm? that's pretty good for discovering new music.

Right now as today is the 30th anniversary John Lennon's death, I am listening to a John Lennon marathon on the radio.

I am a fan of all kinds of music, lately ive been getting a liking for kinda 'blue grassy' music. If you wana here something a bit different check out 'The Calvinists' kind of rock meets blue grass, sounds strange but gets stuck in your head.

9. 0
    Toby Hansenposted 5 years ago

As the presenter of a program dedicated to cover versions on my local community radio station, I have quite a collection of 'alternative' stuff... Gene, Ari Shine, Treebeard, EW Stoneking...

I recommend all of them.

30 years since the death of John Lennon? That really makes me feel old. I can still remember the news coming on the television.

10. 60
    Vanessa Jonesposted 5 years ago

rumpke mountain boys. cincinnasty trash grass. rumpkemountainboys.org

11. The Music Maniac profile image59
    The Music Maniacposted 5 years ago

Alter Bridge are just breaking through over in the UK, which is awesome to see as I've been listening to them since their first album came out!

12. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

Bruce Cockburn is a favorite of mine; he's got a new album coming out soon, which I'm eagerly awaiting.  (It's called "Small Source Of Comfort," and came out of Cockburn's performances for the Canadian troops in Afghanistan.)

I've no idea what number of albums he's up to now!  It's amazing how diverse and creatively vital his work has been (and remains.)

13. swokwriter profile image61
    swokwriterposted 5 years ago

I’ve spent the past week dissecting Steve Martin’s “Rare Bird Alert” after seeing him all over US TV playing with the Steep Canyon Rangers. My vinyl collection covers the gamut from ‘50s mood music, Chet Atkins instrumentals, a little country, some classical. In recent years I’ve been listening to quite a bit of bluegrass as a progression from my love of folk music. On the web I listen to folkalley which has a great mix of old and new artists and recordings. I play and sing whatever I've collected in my fakebook. I collect songs to perform from places like the end of a movie or on TV shows like "Gray's Anatomy" when I hear something that might suit my performance style. I've even taken a Josh Groban song and turned it into a bluegrass-sounding romp. It's all good.

14. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I don't know if his music is considered mainstream, but I love Edward Maya. His song, Stereo Love is still huge in this area. His music is so much fun and very beautiful.

I like some of the popular music, but listen to the local community based station a lot plus movie soundtracks, and the old rock.