Stopping media violence

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (31 posts)
  1. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 13 years ago

I personally think media has gone way to far in going violent.
    With all the detective shows, suggestive shows, etc. Not to mention all the violent movies out now. Enough is enough in my opinion..
    whose with me... we must take a stand, I believe.

1. Rombie1986 profile image59
      Rombie1986posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not exactly sure what shows you are speaking of, but I believe in not censoring everything we put out there. I mean honestly if you want to keep your kids away from that stuff, block it and don't let them watch it. Sooner or later, they will see that kind of stuff. I do agree to a certain degree. There are some things I wouldn't want my kids seeing, but I do know how to handle that. It doesn't mean I want it censored or stopped because I tend to like that kind of stuff. Violent movies are great, what is wrong with that? Violence is good as long as you can tell where reality begins and ends.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i understand what you are saying.  me...i'm not into censoring what people view or read.  so i just read or view what interests me and of course supervise/protect children/youth i'm responsible for.  even if something was legally censored and made illegal, it would just go underground, like it already does.  Me, I get tired of the media sensationalizing famous people and their stupid lives - so i just don't pay attention.  Me, I get tired of the marketing ploys targetting the masses to consume whatever new crap is for sale - so i just don't pay attention.  smile

3. nikki1 profile image60

hmm

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I did not notice this. But then, everyone watches what fits their mind and soul...

5. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Sorry, Nikki, gotta go with the flow, here.  I don't watch many shows, but when I do it is not one filled with gratuitous violence.  Nevertheless, it is not my place to censor what other people want to watch.

6. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 13 years ago

I consider the television much like I do an open pack of cigarettes sitting on the kitchen table with no one around.

It's easy for us to say, 'they shouldn't be there', but it is just as easy to say, 'I'll watch over them so no one gets hurt, or I will put them up so they can't be taken while I'm gone'.

The same goes with the TV. We can watch our kids to see what they are watching, or we can get a newer TV that allows us to set what channels they can watch.

I know that we, as parents, like the idea of turning on the TV and walking away, allowing it to keep our children to be entertained as we commit to our daily tasks, but would you allow your children to play unsupervised at the park? After all, it's not like they'll get hurt if they are 11 or 12, right?

The responsibility lies on us to teach our children good choices and not on others to limit them. And if you think that's harsh, consider the fact that you already agree with this philosophy. You just don't know it yet.

Take for example a campfire. You allow your kids to hold a stick and toss marshmallows, but you pull them back if they get too close. That's being a smart parent - and a caring one. However, would it not make more sense to not have a fire at all? After all, no fire means no risk for harm. However, by reminding your child that fire burns and being there to insure they don't just dive in, you are providing a valuable lesson in life.

Television is the same. If your child sees something disturbing, then it is your job as a child to insure the, it's just a TV show and to help them make better choices about what to watch. And if the constantly gravitate toward choices you don't want them to make you have a deeper rooted issue, as your child is testing their boundaries and appears to be winning - accepting any punishment you might mete out, in return for the reward of watching what they want to watch.

There is but one golden rule for children that every parent must know: When the reward outweighs the punishment, the child will always go for the reward. And any opportunity to enforce with your child the values you want them to learn is a chance to weigh out the reward/punishment system, guiding them to living the life you chose for them by showing its an easier path with better rewards.

And yes ... it sounds like I just reversed on what I just said, but I didn't. The fact is, sometimes you can steer a child from something harmful by rewarding them for better choices. Again, the child will always chose the greater reward, so offering them a great alternative is often all that is needed to persuade them from a poor choice.

7. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

As always, Yoshi has wise words. 

I have to agree with the majority on this one, I'm not for censorship.  I'm for making wiser choices.  In my household, we chose to get rid of the TV altogether.  We get all of our entertainment from the computer.  Luckily, my daughter is almost an adult and able to make good choices on her own.

8. nikki1 profile image60

Thank you for your comments. However, I disagree. Just because
    its on tv,. Doesn't make it exceptible. Violence per say shouldn't be exceptible. Media should have guide lines. In my opinion.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I guess you can blame that on FCC government agency that regulates the TV airwaves and Cable shows. hmm

nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats why we need to request healthier media. I for one do not like
        swearing, suggestive content,. I personally can do without that part. To update the above remark.. "Its also up to us as well to request to update our media's policies to leave the above out", I have already emailed an Honorable Senator about that petition url and requested that and to help endangered animals and signed the petition,. Thank you for commenting..

1. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nikki, can you explain why you feel that your opinion should also apply to the other 349,999,999 of us?  I understand that you don't like it and you personally can do without it, but why force everyone else do do without it?  Not "downing" you, not sarcastic, just interested in your reasoning.

Thank you for your comments.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, since I happen to know your religious view and stance, then I would disagree with you about the content, with regards to suggestive content...if you took it out....then there isn't anything left to put on TV? Are you trying to destroy what others enjoy, because you disagree, based on religious bias?

I mean, almost ALL material on TV/CABLE is suggestive content in some manner of perspective? So, unless you clearly define the guidelines, and DO NOT infringe upon the freedom of speech or expression, then I do not see anything changing.

Those who have a religious view are always out to suppress or oppress other people individual rights, because they feel themselves and their opinion is the only right choice.

But, then again, there are lots that could be said to that, so I will leave it there. wink

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think fictional violence is entirely acceptable.  In fact, fictional anything seems acceptable to me--adults get to choose what they--and their children--watch, read or view.

9. pooja0908 profile image60
    pooja0908posted 13 years ago

yes i agree with u.

Thank you

10. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

If you dont want to see violence then dont watch tv and movies that contain violence, that simple!!

11. nikki1 profile image60

hmm

12. pylos26 profile image71
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

No violence?!!...then who is going to teach school kids to bring guns to school?

That was a very tasteless comment. I am a shamed.

13. nikki1 profile image60

Have a nice day to all.

14. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Only yesterday I posted a very detailed Hub on this subject - I think sections of the media have a great deal to answer for smile

Well, its also up to us as well. To say enough is enough. Lets change the media policies. No more action violence or verbal violence.. suggestive content, sarcastic conduct, swearing,.
      Thank you for your comment. Very appreciated.

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Turn off the TV. Problem solved.

Why not let the rest of us decide whether we want to watch instead of making the decision on our behalf.
        Personally, I enjoy suggestive content and swearing.
        I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions.

I'm not sure that a writers' forum is the best place to promote censorship.
        smile

15. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

Did you ever watch the old TV shows and movies from the 50s? You never see blood! You never actually see the violence (except for the fist fights). Now it's so graphic, nothing is left to the imagination.

16. nikki1 profile image60

sad

17. Megavitamin profile image69
    Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

I am completely against censorship.  Should all books that contain offensive language, violence, or "sarcastic content" also be banned, or maybe even burned?  TV and Movies are profit-central businesses, so if the majority of people are paying to watch these shows and movies, then they will continue to be made.

I also support your right to petition and protest, so you have the right to turn off the TV or send letters to your senator. 

I also have to say I agree with Yoshi97's comments about parenting.  It is the responsibility of parents to teach their kids about violence in the media and the difference between fiction and reality.

18. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I enjoy my violent shows.

Everyone has the choice to watch what they want.

19. nikki1 profile image60

hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)