jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Vuvuzela (The noise of soccer)

1. MartieCoetser profile image89
    MartieCoetserposted 6 years ago

What is your true opinion of the vuvuzela? Can one produce MUSIC with it, or will it forever be a noisy toy?

1. Anti-Valentine profile image94
      Anti-Valentineposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Most people just make noise with it. Few people actually try to produce anything even slightly harmonious.

I was near the beach the one day not too long ago, where there was a flea market with people selling flags and vuvuzelas, and it would have been quite enjoyable if it hadn't been for that racket.

When you hear them on TV, you have no idea. If someone blows the thing a few feet away from you... then you'll know. smile

I don't like the things. I even went as far as making a hub last month where I made it clear. big_smile

In any case, I'm glad the World Cup is over, even thought I liked watching the odd match, and all ready other countries are making strict regulations  on vuvuzelas, with some even banning them. Good, I say.

2. Shinkicker profile image90
      Shinkickerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I didn't mind them on the TV but I guess up close it would be a different story

2. 0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

I don't like them, but noise and sounds are such a personal thing. If there's a noise I don't like I try and stay away from it.  At least it drowned out the whines and abuse of some of the spoilt sportsman.

3. tonymac04 profile image87
    tonymac04posted 6 years ago

It is!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I saw a clip on TV of a group with Vuvuzelas playing music...it was short so i don't know what they were playing.

5. MartieCoetser profile image89

@ Anti-Valentine – I agree with you and will read your hub. The sound of that THING close to you is actually dangerous. I’ve forgotten the decibels output, but it is very-very loud. Even my grandchildren – between the ages of 3 and 7 – was fed-UP with the sound after blowing it for only one afternoon – it was given to them by a soccer-fan. And that night the 2-year-olds were both troubled with ear-ache. So what does this mean – You’ve got to have a mind of a 2-year old and the ears of a ?WHAT? to enjoy and appreciate a vuvuzela?   
    @ Shinkicker & Precious Williams– even hearing the sound on TV irritates me and all my musical friends. 
    @ tonymac04 – ‘It is’ ? ? ? A noisy toy in the hands of silly teenagers and young adults?
    @ Uninvited Writer – I’ve heard a professional musician playing the thing on TV and it did not sound bad at all. I was quite impressed. I guess I should encourage some music teachers in my region to utilize the thing as a prey-instrument. A lot of talented musicians may be ’discovered’ through this thing. Once discovered, we can introduce cornets, trumpets, horns, or any other orchestral instrument to them.

6. MartieCoetser profile image89

@ Anti-Valentine –  I’ve just read your hub. You sure did some homework! Thanks a lot! I’m pasting your the url of your hub ref. Vuvuzela’s here as well as the info you provide in your hub. “The sound of a Boeing 747 in flight is measured at about 125 db, where as a vuvuzela is at 135 db!” http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Vuvuzela-Th … r-Conjured

7. 0
    Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago

When the world cup started on the TV, I ran into the house because I thought we'd been invaded by hornets again.  It took about 5 games before I had trained my brain to ignore the annoying sound.  Like so many really irritating things, its bound to catch on.