jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

Sir Paul McCartney Sings for the Obamas

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

He earns a prominent award and does a cozy gig for the first family and invited guests.  It's a feel-good all around.
    Can't imagine anyone finding fault with this ... but if you do, bring it....

Paul McCartney, pals serenade Obamas at White House

"Paul McCartney: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song in Performance at the White House," was taped early last month and screened tonight (Wed) on PBS. It is the fourth "In Performance" show thus far during Obama's young administration.

McCartney probably needs another award about as much as Jesse James needs another tattoo. However, in clips before the start of the concert in the East Room of the White House, he appears humbled and grateful for the recognition. After those introductory clips, mostly showing the artists meeting one another and rehearsing, the program moves into the actual concert.

One by one, some of today's top musicians applied their personal style to songs by McCartney -- and, in some cases, also by John Lennon. Performers include
    Stevie Wonder
    the Jonas Brothers
    Jack White
    Faith Hill
    Elvis Costello
    Emmylou Harris
    Lang Lang
    Dave Grohl
    and the duo of Herbie Hancock and Corinne Bailey Rae.
    There even is a short but hugely entertaining bit of stand-up by Jerry Seinfeld, who related McCartney's lyrics to the stages of his personal life.

With each additional number, McCartney's genius as a songwriter grows more evident. In fact, part of that genius is reflected in the fact that his music can be covered in such different styles, each showing new facets of the composition.

There were plenty of highlights: Wonder's enthusiastic rendition of "We Can Work It Out," Hancock and Rae's delicate and haunting performance of "Blackbird," Lang Lang's classical finesse applied to "Celebrations," and Costello's sweetly sentimental version of "Penny Lane."
    (Don't bother looking for McCartney's dig at former White House occupant George W. Bush: "After the last eight years, it's great to have a president who knows what a library is," he said. A PBS spokesperson reportedly said the comment occurred after the planned program had concluded and after President Obama left the room.)

In any case, the biggest highlight was the return of all the artists to the stage, along with the first family, for the long chorus that concluded McCartney's delivery of "Hey Jude." Hearing so many memorable songs performed so brilliantly almost can make you forget all the monumental issues facing White House occupants the rest of the time.

1. Shinkicker profile image89
      Shinkickerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just think that rock stars and politicians don't mix. So uncool :-)

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

You must be bored Mighty Mom. lol lol lol

1. 0
      Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago in reply to this

But I can see where Mom is coming from.  Personally I feel that perhaps the white house has an insomnia problem and Sir Paul was helping them out with it.

1. Flightkeeper profile image79
        Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

3. Mighty Mom profile image91

*Gosh, does it show that much?*
    I've made several attempts to get in on some forum action today. Seemed like no matter what the OP was about, the most recent posts were the "usual suspects" plus one well-known recently returned usual suspect, talking their usual schoolyard shit.

I really did enjoy watching the concert and think Paul McCartney has aged like a fine wine.

Perhaps I'll give this a little time and if no one posts I can change the title to "what is your favorite Beatles song."
    Would that be more appropriate? cool cool

1. meow48 profile image78
      meow48posted 5 years ago in reply to this

mighty mom, i loved your post.  and yeah, what is wrong with the president having a rest.  MC Cartney's music spoke to a generation with hope, peace and love in a time when all of that was only a dream and perhaps still is.  thankyou for sharing.  I think as far as an award, it is pretty prestigious.... common, it is the White House and the President...

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Well, regardless what happens. This at least made me laugh. tongue

5. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

I would have been impressed if sir paul sang for Mighty Mom's family...

6. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

Thanks for this Mighty Mom .. I didnt know about it and it is definitely something that I know I would absolutely love to see. . . I am not sure if Cags thinks that maybe watching <or listening> to something like this would be boring or maybe the fact that its with the Obamas. . who cares . . WHAT A LINE UP!

And I agree with Mishna . . I would love to see Sir Paul sing for your family wink especially if Elvis Costello comes . . Ill take a pass on the Jonas bros though!

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Wavegirl, it was Paul McCartney...you're kidding right? lol

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
        wavegirl22posted 6 years ago in reply to this

2. wavegirl22 profile image49
        wavegirl22posted 6 years ago in reply to this

cags. . .sir paul bores you?????

7. Anne Pettit profile image81
    Anne Pettitposted 6 years ago

I'm sorry I missed it.  Is there any way I can watch it?

8. Mighty Mom profile image91

You can watch the concert on the PBS.ORG website, apparently.
    Not sure when local affiliates might be re-airing the concert.
    I hope soon, as I only got to see the very end:(

He was fab tho

9. 61
    waqasmaaposted 6 years ago

Check this out, now you can listen any lyrics of your choice. great work.