jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Will Zack Snyder become the new "top" action Director?

1. Cheeky Girl profile image84
    Cheeky Girlposted 6 years ago

Zack Snyder made the films "Dawn of the Dead", "300" and "Watchmen". He has proven he is an original film maker. He is following a cast of film makers like Sam Raimi, Robert Rodriguez, Steven Soderberg, Spielberg, and others. Is he fit to be called the next Big Director?

1. MalcolmKlock profile image59
      MalcolmKlockposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A big director, certainly. "The" big director, not so sure. He's a brilliant visual artist, certainly, but I'm not sure if Snyder has the range to really break out of his niche and surprise people. Sucker Punch looks very cool, but very much in the vein of his prior works. I can definitely see him in the Sam Raimi, Rob Rodrigeuz category, but not in the category  of virtuosos like Spielberg. Still, love his stuff and hope he proves me wrong and really does something new.

Owls of Ga Hool looks entirely stupid though. Nice visuals I suppose.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

it really depends on how versatile he is as a director.  if he's able to be as versatile as possible with his style, then he should be alright.  if not, and he turns out to be a one trick pony like Shymalan and the wachowski brothres, then he'll just another one hit wonder.  a director that showed a lot of promise, but failed to diversify his style.

1. MalcolmKlock profile image59
        MalcolmKlockposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Those are great examples Steve. Some directors really only have one or two great movies in them.

2. worldgrandeur profile image66
    worldgrandeurposted 6 years ago

If he keeps on picking and directing great movies, and keep away from low-budget movies, why not? "300" was an amazing movie and I think he deserves to be a star director.