jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Does Budget Count in Movies Prodcution?

1. worldgrandeur profile image68
    worldgrandeurposted 6 years ago

I mean,do you know any great movie but produced with low-budget? Must all great blockbuster movies be very expenvise?

1. PrettyPanther profile image86
      PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The first one that comes to mind is Napoleon Dynamite.  Great move, but very small budget.  I think it made plenty of money.

2. MalcolmKlock profile image60
      MalcolmKlockposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Depends on the genre, but in general a low budget doesn't preclude high quality. With the festival system for indie films, a number of ultra low budget movies have become big hits. Napoleon Dynamite's a great example, so are films like the Irish "Once" which won an oscar and was made for practically nothing.

3. Stevennix2001 profile image82
      Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

depends on what your definition of a big budget film is?  i can list a lot of indie movies that were great that didn't cost that much to make.  there's "district 9", "kick-ass", "american splendor", "history of violence", "pulp fiction", "cyrus", "blair witch project" and many others.  just to name to a few.

4. Vargtorna profile image61
      Vargtornaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It seems a butt-load of that budget is going right into advertising, so unfortuantley alot of low-budget films can't compare, which is sad, considering low-budget films are some of the most abstract/lustrous/beautiful tales told. The hard part is finding them (and sometimes understanding them) smile.

2. worldgrandeur profile image68
    worldgrandeurposted 6 years ago

3. WalterDamage profile image60
    WalterDamageposted 5 years ago

It depends upon the skill of the one behind the camera.  I recently rewatched John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN (1978) and was amazed that this film was made for only $300,000.

Likewise, some of the biggest films of all time were made on fairly miniscule budgets.  Both JAWS and STAR WARS cost around $8 million to produce yet turned over $300 million at the box office....

4. Andy Webb profile image85
    Andy Webbposted 5 years ago

Budget shouldn't matter if the storyline is good to start with.

A prime example of a good movie made on a very small budget is the original "The Terminator". James Cameron made that movie on around $6,500,000 which is a fraction of the $58,000,000 budget that "The Cotton Club" had from the same year.