jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

When An Auditions Goes Bad...

1. Mrs.Nita profile image61
    Mrs.Nitaposted 6 years ago

Ok, so I just got back from an audition from church, and honestly I sucked so bad.  I know that I can sing, heck I'm a song writer for goodness sakes.  But auditions for me are just like test.  My mind goes blank. 

I was in a great environment, but I still stood on stage shaking and trying hard to belt out the chorus the way I was asked to do so, but even my breathing was jacked up.

Seriously, I may never do another audition again.

How do I overcome this? Eventually, I want to  record my songs but if I can't get over stage fright, I may never get my songs out there.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

You would think a church would be a sympathetic audience, but I can remember years ago being asked to sing at a church group-- and I totally froze and couldn't remember the words.
    I understand what a disturbing feeling it is.

Years later, I helped a person who was presenting workshops to teachers-- I said I would do anything (hold up visual aids, pass out materials, cue her for topics, do the slide show)-- as long as I didn't have to speak in front of the group.
    Gradually I began to do a little Q and A with her, then took some small segments of the program to give her a break. Soon it was almost 50/50 and I was beginning to be pretty comfortable. The audience wasn't throwing stuff or anything.
    Long story short-- I eventually did the whole program and recruited my own assistant.

Maybe if you had a partner, someone to play backup or do harmony-- you could ease into it and feel that someone had your back. It makes it a lot easier if you don't feel totally alone.

Mrs.Nitaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's good advice.  The thing is, if I made it through the audition, I wouldn't be the only one on stage. 

This would work with my songs though.

Thank you for your advice.

1. sofs profile image86
        sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Face your fears, has worked foer me always take it small doses and extend it to bigger audiences.. it always works..  written a hub on that...
        I started public speaking with a ver young audience, graduated to youth and now I can comfortably go on until some one tells me to stop... though the first few minutes is not the calmest on stage...
        Best wishes.. God bless!

Mrs.Nitaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've thought about that.  I'm gonna start voice lessons next month, and I know that's suppose to build confidence.

So maybe afterwards I can go sing somewhere for free I guess.

Thank you for your response.

1. sofs profile image86
            sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Should definately help you.. way to go!! smile