jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do you miss Radio?

1. thirdmillenium profile image72
    thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago

Do you recall the days when you sat glued to the radio with bated breath waiting for your favorite Gilbert O'Sullivan or Middle of the Road et al to be announced by say, Pat Gates on VOA or Terry Wogan on BBC? Do you miss fine tuning the radio against statistics and Morse code and cursed  your fate for just having missed the opening guitar riff in Brown Sugar while tuning?

The excitement is missing in all the gizmos we have now. At least I think so. Any takers?

1. lorlie6 profile image86
      lorlie6posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I still enjoy the Prairie Home Companion on NPR, thirdmillenium, you can't beat the sound effects.  I listen to the show while writing hubs almost every Sunday afternoon!
      I REALLY miss my shortwave radio-now that's one fabulous experience, listening to broadcasts from all over the globe.

2. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I listen to talk radio (local if possible) all the time, and sometimes music.  It's just a part of my day.  Whenever I buy a new gadget I try to get one with a radio in it too.   smile

3. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

I listen to di.fm online.

4. 0
    jerrylposted 6 years ago

I remember as a kid, my mother listening to soap operas on the radio.  Shows like:

One man's family,    The romance of Helen Trent,    Ma Perkins.

I used to sit with Dad every friday night, listening to the Gilette Friday night fight of the week, with announcer Don Dunphy.  Listened to fights including boxers such as,  Joe louis, Rocky Marciano, Bobo Olson, Jersey Joe Walcott,  Archie Moore,  Ezard Charles, Willy Pep, Carman Basillio. etc..

Great times when people used their imaginations.

Other shows:  The Green Hornet, The Shadow,  Gangbusters, Inner sanctum,  The Red Skelton show,  Amos and Andy, The Great Gildersleeve,  The life of Riley, Ted mack's original amateur hour, just to name a few.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

I listen to soap opera when I was a kid, and I was wondering how do they come up with all the sound effects, like horse running,
    I miss it - but it makes me smile when I think about it with the CDs, MP3