jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Who played on that...

1. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

In this age of downloads, one thing (of several) that I miss..from the good, old 12" vinyl days, besides the larger graphics, is credits: the musicians who played on each track, who wrote the songs, backup musicians and singers, producers, engineers, recording dates etc.  It was always fun to read the back covers to recognize familiar names and such.

I'm wondering if there's a website out there that has all this supplementary information in a database, where you can search such information.  If not, maybe someone should start one. smile

Users could update info, and correct any errors where needed.  Maybe include complete, original cover graphics as well.

Any ideas?

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

Kind of like how IMDb is for movies. that would be nice.. maybe there is?

if I want to know song credits, I just google song credits for name of song. or if you know the artist, you can google discography of artist.

I know what you mean. I miss that too, I like to know that stuff.

1. timorous profile image92
      timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi rebekah.  Yeah, kinda like IMDB.
      There is currently www.freeDB.org , an online database that many CD rip/burn programs use to automatically fill in the song titles and artist..but that's all.  I remember when CD's first came out, even they didn't have much in them except the front cover and the song titles (usually).

There are several other online database sites, but these are generally along the same lines, but with links to artist bio's and reviews and such.

For song credits you can go to www.allmusic.com

Still haven't found anything that shows original liner notes and credits.  I see a project coming on...

3. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Album covers and liner notes are,alas, a dying (one might say lost) art.
    Here's to vinyl and life on the B side:-)!

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love liner notes... still to this day if I buy a cd, I'll take out the liner notes and read them when I first open it up. of course, some don't have too much to read. 

a lot of the music is made with very sophisticated recording software and hardware like Pro Tools, which is amazing!

cags, my youngest son is a paid member as he will soon have his first film credit for scoring the music. he's very excited. with IMDb, you can also look up composers and musicians who have played in movies.

4. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I like IMDB when it comes to actors, movies and tv shows. It's excellent, but you also can be a paying member and get more options. I haven't, because my access is good enough.

5. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

great links! thanks. I didn't know of either of them.

another site with a lot of info and access to artist bios and interviews is http://www.rollingstone.com/music. I've read it since I was a teenager.