jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Biggest Band Of The 90.s?

1. BritishRock profile image59
    BritishRockposted 5 years ago

This is an intresting question to answer because alot of 90,s bands could warrent being called the biggest of the decade but which was the most consistant band through the 10 years? Nirvana cant be because Kurt Cobain killed himself in 1994. Metellica was also a huge band but they formed in the 80,s I want a pure 90,s band. Oasis also could had major success but the lack of American exposure sets them back to second position I believe because I know who the biggest band of the 90,s was.

Pearl Jam formed in 1991 and released there debut album just a couple of months later one of the best albums of the 90,s Ten. This album would out sell Nirvana,s Nevermind which was realeased a couple of months before Ten and changed the face of Rock out with the hair metal bands in with Grunge. Pearl Jam,s next album was released in 1993 which also was a massive success all through the 90,s Pearl Jam released high selling albums without fail making them the biggest band of the 90,s. They had the 90,s look and style they made great albums they toured throughout the 10 years and were even named by Rolling Stone magazine as the biggest band of the 90,s. I salute you Pearl Jam.

1. Dave Harris profile image89
      Dave Harrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Living here in the UK I would have to say Oasis were probably the most popular here, unfortunately the 90's also gave us the Spice Girls...thanks for that!!!
      Other popular bands were the Stereophonics( still going strong), Blur, REM, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Chillis, Suede and of course U2.

1. shazwellyn profile image84
        shazwellynposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Radiohead - consistantly great and still going!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

BritishRockposted 5 years ago in reply to this

GnR were more of an 80,s band they made like 2 albums in the early 90,s big deal no way they were bigger then Pearl Jam.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

I agree with pearl jam, even if coban isnt killed by his wife pearl jam is much better.

BritishRockposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I never said Pearl Jam was better I said they were the biggest band U2 been a big band for a long time dont mean there better personally I think U2 sux. Nirvana is a better band then Pearl Jam and Jam has like 5 more albums.

4. The Best Man profile image59
    The Best Manposted 5 years ago

Biggest band of the 1990's ? Worldwide ? easy U2.  Sure Pearl Jam sold big in USA and Ten is a great album, but U2 dominated the 1990's with one of the greatest rock albums ever Achtung Baby. Apart from containing the classic One, which was voted the greatest song of all time by Q Magazine, the tour that went with it Zoo Tv remains one of the highest grossing rock tours in music history.

They followed that up with Zooropa and Popmart in the same decade.  During the Popmart tour Oasis were support act for some of their shows in the USA and during the Zooropa tour Pearl Jam were support act for some of U2's shows.

Love them or loathe them folks the legends from Dublin have been the biggest act for the 80's, 90's and last year had the highest -grossing tour in the world.

5. 0
    SirDentposted 5 years ago

Third Day founded by Mac Powell, Mark Lee and BIlly Wilkins in 1990 in Marietta Georgia. They are still going stong today.  Inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Sept. 2009.

6. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Does the band have to have been formed in the 1990s or just be popular throughout the 1990s?

I totally agree with Pearl Jam and of course we will never know about Nirvana (but can give educated guesses that they would kick butt over any/all). Also love Radiohead.

I'm not going to argue on "biggest" but some that IMHO belong in the top 5 are:
    Green Day
    Black Crowes

And let's not forget Alice in Chains....

7. Lexe Charleston profile image77
    Lexe Charlestonposted 5 years ago

Definitely Pearl Jam. But two bands that I still hold dear to my heart today, Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead, were also huge in the 90s.

8. 0
    Aleister888posted 5 years ago

RadioHead are an excellent band, i always used to listen to the smashing pumpkins in the 90's, they were obviously not the biggest, but they did have and still do have a large cult following.