jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Is 3D the same as having good stories for movies.

1. OpinionDuck profile image61
    OpinionDuckposted 5 years ago

Week after week I look to see if there is any new movies worth spending twenty bucks to see.

Week after the week the only thing out there are new 3d animation movies.

Last summer had hot weather but the new movies were cold.
    It is already the end of the year.

Can anyone give me twelve great movies, not including 3d for the entire year?

If everyone contributes their favorite one, then maybe we might be able to come up with twelve winner.

Nah, I don't think so, but show me that I am wrong.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

3d sadly for most movies has become a gimmick, as i think 3d cinematography typically works only if it's used in moderation and that it can be used to enhance the environment of a film setting.  Take "Avatar" for instance, that film used 3-D as a means to enhance the CGI world of Pandora, a strange and fictional environment.  However, it seems Hollywood has gotten carried away, and thinks every film needs to be in 3-d that didn't have to be.  Take films like "Saw 3-D" or "Piranha 3-D", those films are freaking lame as he!!, and quite frankly, their movies didn't need the 3-D. 

However, if your looking for good films that have come out that haven't been shot in 3-D, then there's still plenty.  Hell, statistically speaking, there's still a lot more 2-D films coming out per year than 3-D ones.  Ones I'd recommend that are 2D only are the following.

1.  Inception
      2.  Paranormal Activity 2
      3.  The Town
      4.  The American
      5.  Social Network
      6.  Shutter Island
      7.  Machete
      8.  Black Swan
      9.  Conviction
      10. Hereafter
      11. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
      12. Diary of a Wimpy Kid
      13. Kick-Ass
      14. Let Me In
      15. Buried
      16. Secretariat
      17. Wall Street:  Money Never Sleeps
      18. Life As We Know It
      19. Catfish
      20. Easy A

Sorry, I just noticed you only asked for 12, as I thought you typed 20.  lol.  However, I hope that helps. big_smile

OpinionDuckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do appreciate the list, and I can tell we have different ideas on movies.

I didn't see any of these movies, based on their story line.
        My wife did see and enjoy Secretariat

but it was not my genre.

I did see RED, not on your list, with Bruce Willis and my wife and I liked it.

I saw his previous film Cop Out, and it was like he slept through it.

Again I appreciate your list and I wish that I had 20 movies that I saw and liked.

2. Betty Reid profile image62
    Betty Reidposted 5 years ago

I don't go to the movies very often, but I really enjoyed Inception.  Star Trek was good, but I think that was from 2009.

3. I am DB Cooper profile image65
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

3d is the new gimmick to get people to pay more to see a movie. It's important to find out whether the movie was actually filmed in 3d (which requires special cameras and is quite expensive) or if it was processed into 3d after production. Avatar is an example of a movie that was filmed in 3d, and it looks incredible. The Last Airbender was processed into 3d post-production, and it looks terrible.

OpinionDuckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But the question is without 3d did these movies have a good story?

Avatar was like a cartoon with a little story attached to it.
      Visual Treat but for me the story was not that good.

Thanks for the 3D info.

1. Betty Reid profile image62
        Betty Reidposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would not recommend Avatar in 2D.  It would just be another movie, except for the 3D.