Film Series Reboot

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Michael24posted 13 years ago

It seems lately that the word remake seems to be a dirty word. Therefore the term reboot is used. Therefore let us take a look at the robooted series that Hollywood is threatening us with.

Alex Cross: Morgan Freeman is out. Who knows who wants to put on the detective mantle.

Alien Franchise: This more of a prequel series but a reboot nontheless. Attempting to go back to see what made the first film so perticuarly exciting.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Joss Whedon has threatened to put one of the Glee girl characters at the titular hero.

Daredevil: Ben Affleck has threaten us again with non acting skills for this reboot.

Fantastic Four: Both films sucked. Attempting to make a serious adapation of the series doesnt bolster hope.

The Fly: Been in development hell for more than a decade. Here hoping it stays that way.

Godzilla: At best the Godzilla movies at pleasant diversons. At worst their dreadful. What could this reboot hold.

Highlander: I nevered cared for this series. Though once again they decided to redo it.

The Howling: How many good Werewolf films have their been in the last decade.

Jack Ryan: Alec Baldwin wants another turn. Here is hoping that Harrison Fords wants in again.

Judge Dredd: Stallone himself admitted that Dredd was a missed opportunity. Karl Urban now attempts to do what Stallone couldn't

Mortal Kombat: This is just getting out of development hell after 10 years or so.

National Lampoon's Vacation: This time its the adventure of Rusty Griswald. Chevy Chase will make an appearance as the grandfather.

Police Academy: Basically lets hope for DVD.

Street Fighter: Considering after the partial mess that was the recent Street Fighter. They want to do it again.

Superman: When the best thing about this series is the music you know your in trouble. Therefore after the dissappointment that was Superman Returns they attempt to reboot it again.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: I keep hoping that they will make a least an attempt to make a TMNT movie. The first two were somewhat interesting. The last two were terrible. The reboot will be more CGI turtles.

Tomb Raider: Do i really need to say it.

Robocop: The first one was the probably the highlight of the 80's. Sadly the sequels were dissappointments. There are plans for a reboot. That all depends then at the situation at MGM who hold the rights to the series.

Spiderman: After the bad reviews of 3 and attempting to figure out who the villian would be for film four. Both Sam Raimi and Tobey McGuire said screw this and bolted. Therefore leaving us with the new series that include the closest thing to actual teenagers.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pretty impressive list of movies.  Some of these I never heard of. However, I would like to correct you on a few things if I may.  The "Godzilla" movies at best aren't pleasant diversions.  At best, "Godzilla" is a powerful symbolic monster movie that speaks true about some of Japan's fears regarding the aftermath of the atomic bomb in WWII. 

You see, like "Cloverfield" today where it was essentially a monster movie acting as a symbolic meaning behind America's fears of 9/11, "Godzilla" did the exact same thing in Japan. I would highly recommend you watch "Gojira" (original japanese title of first godzilla movie) to see what im talking about.  However, if you were saying that statement in regards to the OTHER Godzilla movies, then you'd be right. 

As for Ben Affleck, you say he can't act?  Are we serious?  Have you not seen his performances in "The Town", "Chasing Amy" and "Goodwill Hunting?"  Look, like you, I hated the "Daredevil" movie too.  However, it wasn't Ben's fault the movie rhetorically sucked.  It was the script and the piss poor direction of that movie.  Heck, even the editing could've been handled better in that film.  The sad reality is that Ben Affleck is a lot like Nicolas Cage and John Travolta in a lot of ways, when it comes to acting.  They're all only as good as the script they have to work with.  When you give them gold, they're at the top of their games.  When you give them crap to work with, they ham it up worse than Adam West did on his 1960s batman show.

The National Lampoons thing sounds more like a sequel than a reboot, to me.  Therefore, I don't know if I would count this as a reboot, unless you want to count "Ghostbusters III" coming out in 2012, where it's said to feature new ghostbuster members.

As far as the spider-man reboot goes, your right about what you said, but I would like to add another issue they had was scheduling conflicts as well; which resulted in Raimi and Maguire walking.

The rest of your post, I pretty much have no issue with or mostly agree with some.  However, you might want to add the "Wizard of Oz", as I just heard recently that's going to be rebooted as well.

2. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Oh yeah, and deadpool is getting a reboot as well.  You might remember the character in "x-men origins: wolverine" but due to fans' negative reaction to how the character was handled in that movie, it's said that Fox is making a solo movie that's a complete reboot of the character.  Essentially ignoring everything that happened in "X-men origins: wolverine", and making a new origin story about deadpool; starring the same actor who played him previously, Ryan Reynolds.

3. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

hey, i just found out they're making a remake to 20,000 leagues under the sea; set to be made by Disney.  Wow, I guess there's another reboot to add to your list. big_smile

4. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

Rynolds was great as dead pool, only thing was he never talked in the comics. Sum of all fears, changing lanes, armagedon were also good. Cloverfield was horrible, Highlander movies were good all but the last one with adrian paul theres a guy who cant act!!!! Police academy is classic so is lampoons and dont need to be remade!!! The fly would be way better today so it deserves to be remade hmmmm ben foster could work in that role hes a lil skitzo!

5. Megavitamin profile image69
    Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

I hadn't heard about the Vacation idea....that could actually be funny.  However, they'd have to stay true enough to the original type of comedy, otherwise I see it ending up like the "Meet the Parents" franchise.  I love Chevy Chase on Community.  Maybe that's just me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)