jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Any ideas on copyright usage of famous peoples photos?

1. Victoria Stephens profile image80
    Victoria Stephensposted 5 years ago

Hi ya,  If I wanted to write about celebrities or write movie reviews etc, can I use dvd covers/photos/pictures off the internet to compliment my article. How does copyright work on that, any ideas?  Thanks.xxx

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Fair use allows you to quote to a limited extent. This will not extend to full-size images. If you took a picture of a movie theatre where a certain actor appears on posters, you would own the image and could reasonably use it provided the use is not in a way that compromises the actor's right to publicity.

Even if you find free images licensed for commercial use on the Internet, I would not uncritically trust such a license if I were you. The image may belong to someone who took an unauthorized snapshot. For example, you could take a close-up picture of a DVD cover: You own the image but cannot legally use it commercially.

Apart from the law, there is the issue of enforcement. If an image is in widespread use all over the Internet, it may be unlikely that the copyright holder will do anything to enforce their rights. They may tolerate or even implicitly condone how the image is being used.

In practice, I'd say the safe route to go would be either to get permission or to insert some Amazon capsules. Surely you can use the images from Amazon as pertains to products that are for sale.

Victoria Stephensposted 5 years ago in reply to this

mmmm.....this copyright is tricky stuff.  I will defiantly take into account what you are saying when I'm looking for some pictures.   I think I will also contact Amazon and ask them what their view is on someone using their pics if also combined with their capsule, I'm intrigued to know now.  You have a good point though with that and I think they may just be happy with that, as it is also advertising their product

Thank you for a very informative and eye opening response, it's really appreciated.xxx

2. Sufidreamer profile image82
      Sufidreamerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good call, WE - That's what I do. I can't see Amazon going after an affiliate for using the image of a product that they are selling in the Hub. My pictures tend to be of unglamourous things such as mattresses rather than celebrities, but the principle should be the same smile

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

The copyright belongs to the photographer, you should get their permission if using their photograph of a celebrity. You can use covers when talking about that item, as far as I know. I've done that when I couldn't find a copyright free image. If you find it on Wikipedia they will let you know how it can be used.

Victoria Stephensposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had never thought of having a look on Wikipedia, I will check it out.  Thank you for the tip and best wishes.x