jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

The Day the Music Changed

1. 6 String Veteran profile image87
    6 String Veteranposted 5 years ago

I remember the day when Tower Records (remember them?) got rid of nearly all of their records, replacing them with those soul-less, non-artwork having, over-priced, break-prone CDs.

I just stared in shock that day and never quite got over it (I know, we're up to MP4s now, but I'm being honest).

Do you remember that 'day'? What was your experience?

And I'm sorry, videos never quite took the place of album art...Yes, Marvin Gaye, Zeppelin, Parliament Funk, Meatloaf, etc.

1. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I got the Marvin Gaye "I WANT YOU" Album! interested?

2. kereeves3 profile image80
    kereeves3posted 5 years ago

I guess I wasn't really old enough to remember this specific moment.  The only records I really remember having were the ones I had when I was really young.  My mom would buy me children's records, like Disney and Sesame Street stuff (haha!).

The first CD I ever received was the soundtrack to the movie Aladdin when I was in 2nd grade, and from then on, I always had CDs.  I think the first one I ever purchased myself was either No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom, or Barenaked Ladies' Stunt.

Now that I'm a bit older, and my music collection--aside from my record collection--is completely digital, I kind of do miss the era of the CD.  Strange how that is.  My CD collection actually got stolen from me about four years ago, and man, did I have a LOT of CDs.  Weird, but I do miss them.

But I love vinyl still too!

1. 6 String Veteran profile image87
      6 String Veteranposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Kereeves, CDs are (I should say 'were' LOL) more convenient, I admit. And MP3s certainly are (smile). But what I can't get over is how I--and countless others--were nearly forced to transition to CDs. Why couldn't we have had a choice? CDs would have been the preference anyway.

It's just unsettling, really--not simply about music but about trends.