jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

What Would Bob Think: Is 'Dancehall' Music Truly Reggae?

1. 6 String Veteran profile image72
    6 String Veteranposted 6 years ago

Reggae-ish 'Dancehall' music--and additionally, 'Reggaeton'--have dominated the world's perception of the music that was once home to artists / visionaries such as Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, and others.

The once vibrant 'riddims', now replaced with drum machines, samples, and sound efx, are gone, along with political and social topic matter.

Now if you want any semblance of the former you must specify 'Roots Reggae'. But it used to be just 'Reggae', mon.

What happened? And WWBT (What Would Bob Think)?

1. Julie2 profile image59
      Julie2posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love dancehall and reggaeton music too. I think its reggae just not the political kind we grew up with. This new stuff has a faster tempo its way lighter when it comes to song lyrics. Its more about wooing the girl, having a good time.

As for what Bob would think? He would still be playing his Roots Reggae and be proud of what his influence had a hand in creating.

1. 6 String Veteran profile image72
        6 String Veteranposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks 4 the response...I guess just as R+R widened to include New Wave, Progressive, and other sub-genres, Reggae 'grew up' as well, having its own 'kids' and 'grandkids', so to speak.

1. Julie2 profile image59
          Julie2posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thats a good way of putting it. The next generation follows in the previous ones foot steps and add a bit of their own flare, then the generaton after that just takes it to a whole other level. I think its great as long as the real vibe isn't lost.

working