jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Nothing Profound. Just Wanted to Post That I...

1. 6 String Veteran profile image86
    6 String Veteranposted 5 years ago

...worked for a world music company when I was younger--one of the best opps I've ever had, creatively at least LOL. Got to take home free copies of any disc I wanted: ancient music from China, Egypt, Japan...anywhere. And these were high-quality discs (yes, I was paid monetarily as well).

An interesting fact: the earlier the music (as far as when it pre-dated to) the more it had in common with musics from other cultures. Case in point: early Celtic music sounded nearly identical to the music of early East India...which sounded very close to ancient Egyptian music, etc.

It was as if I was literally listening to proof that all cultures are related (which makes since: each 'race' didn't just come from its own planet LOL), and the earlier the music the greater the audio-proof. The music saved me perhaps hundreds of research/reading hours.

Anyway, that was awesome and I'll never forget it...a major musical / (synthetic) social experience for me.

Anyway enough about me / my experience(s)...

What's YOUR fav World Music? Current or Older / Ancient? Come on, 'drop dime': I want names, CDs, musical analysis, etc (don't take offense to my tone, I'm trying to make this exciting for those for whom it's not).

1. stclairjack profile image80
      stclairjackposted 5 years ago in reply to this

gregorian chant charges my batteries lately, and sounds a great deal like what came out of india/tibet,... i tend to like everything,... clasic country, dvorak, janice joplin, you name it, i'm going to see motorhead on the 17th, but i'm jazzed because clutch is opening,... music is a human universal,....i loved when i accidentaly stumbled upon the jacques loussier trio, they took handels water music and played it as a jazz trio,... piano/drums/bass,.... it was wild,... but so was listening to pat boon do things to hendrix that i didnt know were possible.....very few things turn me off to the point that i refuse to at least give it a listen.

1. 6 String Veteran profile image86
        6 String Veteranposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Gregorian chant is mesmerizing...and who can resist Piece of My Heart (by Joplin)? Sounds like quite a musical adventure...and one that's far from over.

2. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 5 years ago

Wow!  all new people over here in the subforums - where I have never ventured before.

"An interesting fact: the earlier the music (as far as when it pre-dated to) the more it had in common with musics from other cultures. Case in point: early Celtic music sounded nearly identical to the music of early East India...which sounded very close to ancient Egyptian music, etc." 

that makes complete sense to me and makes the term World Music so more appropriate ! I have not yet been exposed to early East Indian music or even ancient Egyptian music and I'm wondering where to find it - how can people know for sure it's early or ancient, for that matter?  part of the cultural oral tradition and so we take it on faith?  very interesting

working