jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)

anyone for theatre?

1. acreach profile image59
    acreachposted 5 years ago

I've had a few opportunities to act on stage these past few years here at college and it has been by far one of my most rewarding experiences. Is there anyone else who would care to comment on any acting experiences they have had or plays they have been in.

1. No_Clue profile image79
      No_Clueposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is, of course, a long story behind this, but I got the opportunity to perform with my oldest son in a production of "Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat" several years ago...my first and only performance...it was one of the highlights of my life, one I did not think I could do...got bit by the theater bug...a most fabulous and enriching experience! Thought I would be scared, but was shocked to discover that there was no fear, for we were well rehearsed, and it was the greatest thrill! Did 9 performances in all...would do it again in a heart-beat!

acreachposted 5 years ago in reply to this

9 performances! wow! I thought that 7 was a lot which is what we did last year for the diary of anne frank. It's interesting that you talk about being scared or at least thinking that you would be..for myself I hate getting up in front of people and talking but the minute I'm in character telling a story it's a completely different thing. I've heard of that play before, but I've never seen it...is it based off of the biblical story of Joseph?

Yes, a Braodway musical, made into a movie based on the Blblical story of Joseph...fabulous music,...my favorite! and get this...I was the oldest female casted and the fluffiest...but...that did not deter me...Lord, it was such fun! Diary of Anne Frank, huh? most impressive, a classic for sure! ps, I also spent over 240 hours sewing costumes...that was a blast too!

cool! that's definately one I will have to see if I have the chance then. Yeah, diary was pretty amazing. I played edith frank so I had some fun with her. I suppose that's one of the great things about theatre though..you're never too old to do it smile and they can always make you look older or younger for any given part. We are currently in performance mode for quiet in the land, a play about the amish people and so we get to wear all the dresses, bonnets, etc..the woman who sewed all the dresses was amazing...what a lot of work...work that often isn't even recognized. 240 hours...wow. Would you ever do it again?

in a heart beat! The directors of this production had done Joseph 15 years ago, and had all the costumes designed and hand made...they were stunning, for sure. What I did was supplement what they had, and do alterations basically. It was a challenge for sure...also designed an Egyptian skirt from a picture, made a prototype, first, then made 13 each custom made for each of the wives, including myself. It kept me out of trouble for a good while, no doubt...but I loved it, every minute. Will see if I can find "Quiet in the Land" and give it a read...I just moved from Pa...which is Amish land! Break a leg!

Thanks No_Clue. We finished our last performance last night and it was such a blast and yet even after 6 performances, it feels like we've barely started...I'm going to miss it incredibly..but that's all part of acting. There always is a bit of a let down after its all over...most likely it will take me a week to find my legs again and figure out what to do with myself.

I so understand that feeling of let down following the final performance...I am still groping a bit, after two years! My writing has taken a major role, but I yearn for theater...that is why I responded to your initial inquiry..who knows, perhaps I will find my way back to the stage, some day...Congrats to you!

2. SusaWHAT?! profile image61
    SusaWHAT?!posted 5 years ago

I love being part of a play. I've always been shy, so when one of my high school teachers encouraged me to join an acting class, it was surprisingly awesome! We did lots of improv games and it really brought me out of my shell. We were in this play called "Petty Crimes" and I had so much fun with my cast mates, it brought us closer. So i'm really glad I got into acting.

Cool. That's one thing that's really so amazing about being part of a cast is that your cast members really do become a second family to you. I've been working with the same people since september and the bond you create with them..I wouldn't trade for anything and some of my best friends I have made on the stage. You know I never liked improv either...mainly because it isn't easy for me to come up with things fast and in the moment...but like you said, it is so much fun...because everybody is just acting stupid anyway...join the club smile Tell me more about Petty Crimes...was it a comedic play? Have you done anything else since then?

1. SusaWHAT?! profile image61
        SusaWHAT?!posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, it is really amazing. And improv is hard to do at times, Im a slow thinker so it was definately complicated, but when I did get right and people laughed hysterically, it made me feel better and enjoy it more. Petty Crimes was originally a book of short stories written by Gary Soto, but our class made it into a play with help from our teacher. So the play was funny but also kind of cheesy, and some dramatic parts because people stole and did other petty crimes. But I loved it, I made really good friends in that class. That was last year, but I haven't done anything else since, i'm thinking of joining a theatre class next year in college though.

Cool! I never had the opportunity to take any theatre classes in highschool. It's only since coming to college that I've been exposed to theatre. I can't really describe it, but in many ways I came alive when I took the stage here...like a part of me had remained quiet and hidden and was just waiting for something to draw it out.

Yeah, I completely know where youre coming from. And it allows you to be someone else, its fun.

2. No_Clue profile image79

ooooh I would die to take improv...no drama dept in my high school...I can relate to bonding with cast-mates...an incredible experience second to none!
      My cast mates were all in Italy, and I was there for a 2 1/2 month visit...I live in USA so I was very sad to leave them all!

you should definately try improv, its really fun, haha. im so jealous that you went to italy! haha especially if you did plays there, thats awesome. hopefully you are still in contact with your previous cast mates

1. tnderhrt23 profile image81
          tnderhrt23posted 5 years ago in reply to this

well, I am definitely in touch with my son who was a cast mate...lololol not so much the others...one of the directors died here last year which hit us all out of the blue...another key player, the man who played Jacob was in a horrific motorcycle accident and nearly died...last year...life goes on I guess...I love them all. my cast mates

2. acreach profile image59

wow! Italy! Now that sounds cool. Cast bonding...that is indeed a treasure. I'm hoping I can keep up friendships with most of them after college. There are a few of them that I've shared the stage with every year since coming here which will make it all the more sad when we all go our different directions. So what is it about theatre or elements of it that draws you?

working