jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

83rd Oscar Awards

1. kingis profile image79
    kingisposted 5 years ago

How would you rate the 83rd Annual Oscar Awards telecast on ABC? I want to hear some views about the telecast.  I admit I have been bored by this years telecast.

1. Michael Willis profile image77
      Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Over the years I have been so bored by them that I do not even watch it anymore. I find out the winners on the internet.

2. kingis profile image79
    kingisposted 5 years ago

The only moment that the Oscars will be remembered for this year is Kirk Douglas presenting the Best Supporting Actress award to Melissa Leo and Leo letting an F-bomb slip.  It is a good thing they have the seven second delay.

1. Michael Willis profile image77
      Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is good they do the delay. I wish they would liven up the show more.

3. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Billy Crystal in his 5 minutes on stage reminded me of the "good old days" of presenters.
    I like James Franco and Anne Hathaway very much. But a bunch of costume changes is no substitute for a genuinely FUNNY emcee.
    They were pleasant but sorta bland.
    The pre-show interviews -- at least the ones I saw -- were horrendous. Really stupid interviewers. REALLY stupid!!!

I'm trying to remember any other standout moments.
    I liked Colin Firth's acceptance speech. Of course, I like anything/everything about Colin Firth, so that's no surprise.
    I like Randy Newman, but thought his winning song was really retarded compared to some of the others.
    I thought Natalie Portman's acceptance speech was ridiculous.
    Other than that, it was devoid of anything memorable at all.
    No one-armed pushups.
    No Alec Baldwin.
    Maybe next year!

4. Gail Anthony profile image61
    Gail Anthonyposted 5 years ago

I miss Bob Hope.  Leo's speech is no substitute for Cher's strapless, backless, buttless dresses.  The emcees' writers leave a lot to be desired.  The set for the orchestra's performances of old show tunes was super (or maybe it was the memories the music promoted in my mind).

5. Cici2hip4u profile image59
    Cici2hip4uposted 5 years ago

I agree the 83rd annual Academy Awards did not bring my attention to it at all. The co-hosts, James Franco and Anne Hathaway, were not to my amusment, either. Anne Hathaway did not have any humor whatsoever, except for the fact she was laughing at her own "remarks". I think someone needs to lay off the Monsters! James Franco was alright; he looked stoned or paralyzed, though. Probably by Anne Hathaway's personality and such. Haha, funny wacko's!

6. American_Choices profile image84
    American_Choicesposted 5 years ago

Is this because of different generations?  It is only the babyboomers who feel left out?  I as a babyboomer was disappointed - except with Celine's version of Charlie Chaplin's Smile.