Democratic Congressman tops 'Jeopardy' computer Watson

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Congressman tops 'Jeopardy' computer Watson
    'I wonder if Watson wasn't having a low-voltage night,' says Rep. Holt of N.J.

Rush Holt
    Mel Evans  /  AP
    FILE - In this Oct. 14, 2010 file photo, Democratic Rep. Rush Holt answers a question during a debate with Republican challenger Scott Sipprelle in Trenton, N.J., on Oct. 14, 2010. Holt, a plasma physicist-turned-politician, topped the IBM supercomputer 'Watson' in a round of Jeopardy! in Washington on Monday.
    The Associated Press … ?GT1=43001
    WASHINGTON Turns out it really does take a rocket scientist to beat Watson, the "Jeopardy"-winning computer.

U.S. Rep. Rush Holt of New Jersey  a five-time champion during the trivia show's original run 35 years ago  topped the IBM computer Monday night in a "Jeopardy"-style match of congressmen vs. machine held at a Washington hotel.

Though Holt isn't the first human to beat Watson, the victory adds to the 62-year-old Democrat's already-impressive resume: a former State Department arms control expert and ex-leader of the federal Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory.

"I wonder if Watson wasn't having a low-voltage night, because I certainly didn't expect to score higher than the computer," he told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday.