jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Elton John and Saturday Night Live

1. GmaGoldie profile image85
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

Did anyone else watch Saturday Night Live with Elton Johh?

I love Elton John but was very disappointed.  He needs to hire a writer that promote his brand. 

Tabloids are great for the personal life but as a tv viewer, lover of rock n roll, I don't really care about your personal life, I wanted his opening to be about his career and the many songs I love, his heritage of being British, connection to Diana, the upcoming wedding he is invited to - not his personal life.

Talented writers - what quick wit would you have suggested to Elton John for opening remarks?

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I watched part of it and he did a good job considering he is not a stand up actor...
      he did take a lot of jabs at "Spiderman...the musical" I noticed

Tom Hanks had to step in to help though...wink

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Elton's opening monologue (not to mention the opening skit parody of Lawrence Welk!).
    Compared to 90% of the SNL hosts, Elton John was at least engaging.
    For a New York audience, I don't think mention of the royal couple's nuptials or Princess Diana would have had the same impact as it would in Britain. Some Americans care about William and Kate, but I think that particular audience preferred the gay fathers jokes.
    He did manage to get in mentions of a couple of his songs.

The disappointment for me, honestly, was his supposed "duets" with Leon Russell. I adore Leon Russell's voice but he was not even audible. And yesterday was his birthday, too (69 -- you go, Leon!).

3. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

i jst watched it, elton was funnier then I thought he'd be. It was a little to "look at me i'm gay" for me, hes openly gay we dont need all gay driven sketches to prove it. The cowboy one was the best on the night!

4. superwags profile image81
    superwagsposted 5 years ago

I'd like to tell my favourite elton john joke now, but I think my profile would be taken down in about ten minutes flat!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

c'mon superwags, am waiting..

1. superwags profile image81
        superwagsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, it's really not appropriate. You have to bear in mind that people in the UK have had years to come up with this stuff - I would err over telling this one to my mates in the pub.