Ashton Kutcher replaces Charlie Sheen on "Two and a half Men"

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (44 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

In recent news, Ashton Kutcher was just cast to officially replace Charlie Sheen on "Two and a half Men."  There's no word yet, as to the new character that Ashton will be playing, or if he'll simply be playing the same part that Sheen had.  but one thing is for sure, I don't think this could've worked out better for the show, as Kutcher is a much funnier actor anyway.  What are your thoughts on this?

Oh and here's a link to read for more details on the matter:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=77529

1. Sapphireid profile image62
      Sapphireidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What comes to mind is that CBS refused to allow Charlie Sheen's downfall and Negative press involving insultaneous comments and remarks to any and all surrounding the Two and a Half-Men show. More than a round of an applause is extended to them. Media, Paparazzi, Celebrities getting out of Control...., it's a good plan to keep the show going and allow for viewers to decide if they want the show any longer. So many shows have came and went based upon a Celebrities scandals and personal life "Going Out of Control." Funny thing is: I am a Proactive Mother who just so happens to be maintaining a household with a teen who thought it was best to go out of control and try to take the family down with them. Now, things are a 360 degree positive difference. Good question Stevennix! Oh, and Good luck to Ashton Kutcher! Good, down to earth guy, husband, dad. We love him in our house. ; )

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your welcome, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. Personally, I'm glad to see CBS didn't just take the easy way out and cancel the show because of CS's stupidity.  Besides, why should the other people involved on the show lose their jobs because of the acts of one man?  I certainly applaud them for taking control of the situation.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image63
      Drew Breezzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you think he will act the same role as Sheen or bring new dimension to the character?

1. profile image0

I honestly think they're going to introduce a new character for him to play, as i can't imagine them having Ashton don the same exact role that Sheen portrayed.  if anything, I think what's going to happen is that the writers will make up some story where Sheen's character either gets killed or moves far away. Thus, a new character would move in to take Sheen's place.  As far as how he'll act, I don't think Ashton's character will be anything like Sheen's character.  As the key thing you have to remember is unlike a movie, tv series generally try to stretch out a series as long as they can revolving the show around the actors' strengths.  Not saying movies won't do that too but unless you're a big name star, most actors are required to be very versatile when it comes to big movie roles.  When it comes to television, you have to think long term.  Therefore, if the execs at CBS want this show to last for a long time, then the character has to be something that Ashton will take and make it his own; thus his role would have to revolve around his strengths as an actor. 

edit:  of course, i could be wrong on this, as CBS has yet to announce further details of Kutcher's role on the show.

3. Daffy Duck profile image60
      Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Charlie Sheen is more funny.  He's freaking hilarious.  This will be interesting though.  It is a great show and I'm curious as to how this will work out.  Ashton--interesting choice.  hmm

4. myi4u profile image61
      myi4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like Charlie Sheen on that show but I dislike his attitude off screen. I am a bit unsure as to how Ashton can fit into the show. In my opinion, Ashton acting is a bit exaggerating most of the time. Having said all that, it is still worth checking out the new series where Ashton is in. Who knows that he might do a good job?!

5. hotwebideas profile image63
      hotwebideasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Charlie Sheen will always be typecast as Charlie Harper (his character on the show). Maybe, to keep the fun alive, Ashton Kutcher will play Ashton Harper. If they did that, it would be so awesome.

Nobody can play Charlie Harper other than Charlie Sheen. As a die hard Two and a Half Men fan, I think it would be too weird for Ashton to just take over the Charlie Harper character. It would never work. Ashton NEEDS to play a new character.

6. ournote2self profile image60
      ournote2selfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a huge Ashton fan!  I've never seen 2.5 Men before, but you better believe I will now be programming it into my DVR!  smile

2. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

I think it is a great pick and I never want to hear the name of "CS" again.  Yeah to Ashton Kutcher - I wish him the very best!

1. profile image0

Yeah, same here. it should be interesting to see how the show plays out.

3. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

I'll be interesting. I personally am not expecting much.

1. Pamela Sarzana profile image58
      Pamela Sarzanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ashton Is sooo cute. He grew up really poor on Welfare. I think his dad ran off an left his Mom or something like that. I will watch him for sure.

1. profile image0

Wow, really? I didn't know that Ashton had to go through all that as a child.  It sounds like he's turned out to be a helluva a guy since he got his big break in Hollywood.  Kudos to him, as I'll definitely be monitoring his career closely now.

2. profile image0

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens then.

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
        Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no question that you have me there. I wasn't huge on the show before, but with ashton, hes going to have to show me something. No matter what I will not watch it much, and it is nothing against ashton, but I really would have to see how he plays his particular character..

4. Matt in Jax profile image61
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

I really don't see this lasting more than half a year or a full season longer with him now "at the helm." Too much weight onhis shoulders to be able to stand in as either a new character or as Charlie's old role.

1. profile image0

I don't know about that, as I've seen Kutcher act very well in "Valentine's Day" and "Butterfly Effect."  He's a lot better of an actor than most people bother to give him credit for. I think he'll do alright.  Besides, was the pressure anymore higher than it was when Charlie Sheen had to replace Michael J. Fox on the hit show, "Spin City."  Therefore, I'm confident Ashton will deliver, and it'll end up being Sheen's loss in the end.

2. profile image58
      C.J. Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Sheen's role is cast and suited specifically to him. No one else is going to fill it. The only choice is to alter the show to Kutcher and I don't think that will sell.....

5. nycgrl profile image60
    nycgrlposted 12 years ago

Am I the only one who will actually watch this show now that Charlie Sheen is GONE? Seriously I never understood why people liked this show.  Especially when Charlie was literally just playing himself! Ashton Kutcher is hilarious and at least you will be able to count on him showing up for work not cracked out of his mind.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No! I never watched it with CS but would consider checking it out with Ashton Kutcher.(Just watched an old episode of That 70s Show. He's always been a cutie).
      He's a good pick, I think.
      And good for the network for closing the door on CS and his histrionics.
      I wish him well -- if he chooses to get himself well.
      But you can't go backwards.

Thanks for posting this topic, Stevennix!

1. profile image0

You're quite welcome MM, and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, as I too think they couldn't have found a better replacement for Sheen.  By the way, I hear you're quite the cutie yourself too. wink

2. profile image0

Unlike you, i did check out "two and a half men" when CS was on there but like his role in "Spin City" (when he replaced Michael J. Fox), it did seem like he was just merely playing himself like he always does.  To me, Sheen hasn't been funny since he did those "Major League" films, and those movies weren't funny because of him either.

However, I didn't really care for "Two and a half Men" when Sheen was on there, as the show was kind of boring in my opinion.  But, I am looking forward to seeing if Ashton will be any better, as I always found him to be a helluva of lot more funnier than Sheen ever was.

6. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I think Ashton is a good pick. CS has caused his own fate and I am not at all surprised that the network bounced him and his crazy antics. It has long amazed me how those who climb to such lofty heights fail to appreciate the gifts at the top. It may well be a long way down for CS, hopefully Ashton will gracefully wave at Sheen on his way up! I can't wait to see the new rendition. The supporting cast is not to be underestimated either; what CS failed to realize is that the series would be nothing without the entire casts' grand contributions.

1. profile image0

yep, i couldn't agree with you more on that. smile

7. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

I don't like Ashton. He could never take Charlies place i my mind.

8. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

it will be a different show hes not sarcastic like charlie. he'll be more like john cryer in a sence that hes spasmatic,goofy, and trys way to hard.plus he'll have the same hair as angus, berta might use him as butt flawse. I'm willing to bet berta will see him and say "hey charlie did you get a hair cut, ya look different." It will be ok for a few episodes then look as bad as the rules of engagement!! Shocked that the show is still on.

1. profile image0

Well I certainly agree that Kutcher's style of acting and comedy is vastly different from Sheen's style.  then again, that's why I told Drew earlier, I doubt he's going to be playing the same character that Sheen had, as I think they're just going to create a character that suits Ashton's style of comedy then go from there.

2. Daffy Duck profile image60
      Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting observations optimus.    Butt flawse  lol   lol   lol

9. celebritie profile image69
    celebritieposted 12 years ago

I love Ashton Kutcher he is so HOT, but I am not sure he is the right fit for the show "two and a half men" it will be interesting to see how they pull it off.

10. your cybersister profile image61
    your cybersisterposted 12 years ago

I, like so many others on this topic, am just glad to see that Charlie Sheen is not returning to Two and Half Men after his attack on the show, producers, and co-workers. I would have been very disappointed if his self-destructive behavior had been rewarded with an even bigger ungodly amount of money than he was already getting for basically portraying himself.  I'm also glad for the rest of the cast that the show wasn't cancelled. As to Ashton Kutcher, I hope they do bring him in as a new character so people have a chance to more easily accept and appreciate him on the show for what he brings to it, rather than just noticing that he doesn't seem like Charlie.

11. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

omg there going to introduce him as the youngest brother they never talked about! This will be extremely gaaaaay!!! Due to the lack of new ideads in hollywood I wouldnt be shocked if this happend!

12. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Ashton is such a lightweight,  the show will be gone in less than a year.

13. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I liked the show for ages - not because of Charlie Sheen, but because of everyone else on there, and the way they all play well off the others.   The last two/three seasons have worn pretty thin, though.  It's as if they've run out of material and switched from having the occasional "edgy" joke to nothing but infantile and crude toilet humor.

The thing I heard on the news was that AK would play a completely different character.  I think the show's been on its way out for awhile now, so they figured they'd throw him in (since he's apparently popular with some people, who aren't me) and see what happens.  If nothing else, he and CBS get a little more attention for now, and the other actors get another season's worth (maybe) of work.  (Do the people who watch whatever channel Ashton Kutcher's show is on - whatever that is  roll - even ever watch CBS, NBC, or ABC?)

Anyway, I don't think it's going to work.

14. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

When is the start of the show?

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's in re-runs for now (Mondays, CBS, 9:00), and the new season won't start until Fall (like October, I think...  )

15. Ms Chievous profile image67
    Ms Chievousposted 12 years ago

I heard this morning on the radio that Ashton got the role only because Hugh Jackman passed it up. That would have been an interesting combination.  Ashton can probably pull it off as long as he stays away from his "loveable doofus character".

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I'm glad that Hugh Jackman was smart enough to pass that up.  He's better than that show.

1. workingmomwm profile image80
        workingmomwmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lisa: Agreed!

16. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

he is too young to be playing the older brother to Alan .
    maybe mom will introduce him as Alan's long lost and unknown half brother..wink

17. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

What I'd like to have happened is to have Stan and Judith break up, have Stan go stay at the beach house "while Charlie's off somewhere, working on some great new project", and let Alan and Stan be the two guys, with Jake's "issues" and "Judith issues" of one sort of another.  I don't know..  I like Stan.  I think they should have "promoted from within".   smile

18. workingmomwm profile image80
    workingmomwmposted 12 years ago

Am I the only one who's worried Ashton's going to come in and immediately shout, "You've been Punk'd!"? ;-)

Not that I'm really that worried ... I've never really watched the show - once or twice on re-runs when nothing else was on. I didn't like Charlie Sheen's character, and I doubt that I'll like Ashton's character (whoever he is) much better. Not a big Ashton fan, although I will concede that he has done some decent acting.

19. footballzone profile image60
    footballzoneposted 12 years ago

you are right

20. profile image0
    janellelkposted 12 years ago

I just don't see how the show will survive with such a transition from Charlie Sheen to Ashton Kutcher.  Nothing personal..  I'm just skeptical.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)