jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

'Gunsmoke'--Are You A Fan?

1. inspector fidget profile image60
    inspector fidgetposted 5 years ago

I'm a huge fan of 'Gunsmoke'.  It's not only my all-time favorite t.v. Western, it's also one of my favorite overall t.v. programs in any genre.

It was the first Western I ever really gave the time of day and thought had great character-profiles and story lines along with lots of action.

Are you a fan of 'Gunsmoke' or any other classic Western?

1. Fiddleman profile image76
      Fiddlemanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've been a fan of this old Western for many years. The stories were always well written and the actors and action so real. The good guy's always won and a healthy respect for law and order. The character of Chester was my favorite.

inspector fidgetposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for commenting, Fiddleman.  I agree that "the stories were always well written and the action and actors so real."  The upstanding characters were realistically upstanding:  of course the Marshal, Miss Kitty and Festus and Doc and all of those...they were respectable, law-abiding citizens who did their part to uphold justice.  They all held "a healthy respect for law and order."

What I don't agree with in your comment is that "the good guys always won".  That wasn't always the case.  Which is another reason I really appreciate 'Gunsmoke'.  It's more realistic when the good guy doesn't win in every episode, just as the good guy doesn't always win in real life.

My favorite characters are Matt Dillon and Festus.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image88
          Hugh Williamsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In the b&w TV days, Gunsmoke was the coolest thing on the air. I suppose that's why NBC news says it is the longest running drama ever on television.

It all seems pretty campy now compared to modern shows. Matt Dillon couldn't lie or swear or boink Ms. Kitty. It was very well done and a great show in it's day. Loved Chester.

Thanks for commenting.

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I enjoyed the original series. wink

3. inspector fidget profile image60
    inspector fidgetposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the comment.

4. Matt in Jax profile image80
    Matt in Jaxposted 5 years ago

To be honest, never watched the original show much. Westerns aren't really up my alley.

Thanks for commenting, Matt in Jax.  There was a time when Westerns weren't my thing, either.  I happened to watch 'Gunsmoke' one day, many years back, before we had all the channels we have nowadays and there wasn't anything else worthwhile on t.v.  I didn't like Westerns at all at the time.  But the other viewing options weren't any better.  So I watched the program and have been a fan of it and the Western genre ever since.

working