jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Russell Crowe is Playing Jor-El in the new Superman reboot

1. Stevennix2001 profile image81
    Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago

In recent news, it looks like Russell Crowe was reported by Variety to be playing Superman's birth father, Jor-El.  Some of you may remember Jor-El previously being played by legendary actor, Marlon Brando.  Now it seems Russell Crowe will try his hand at the role of playing superman's dad. 

Of course, Variety has been wrong before, as they did announce once that Joseph Gordon Levitt was cast to play Alberto Falcone in the upcoming "Dark Knight Rises", but it was later debunked as Warner made the official announcement that Levitt would instead be playing a detective named Drake in the movie.  Therefore, will Crowe truly be playing Jor-El?  Or is this another rumor by Variety?

Plus, if this news is true, then what are you're thoughts on this?  You think Russell Crowe will do a great job playing superman's daddy?  Or what?  big_smile lollol

2. optimus grimlock profile image56
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

I think he would be great as his dad! crowe was good in robin hood. What comic book character could he be?????

Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

idk, but it would be awesome to see him take on the role of Jor-El.  Personally, I'm just hoping that they cast Daniel Day Lewis as Lex, as I think that would be perfect casting if you ask me.

1. drej2522 profile image83
        drej2522posted 6 years ago in reply to this

you didn't like Kevin Spacey as Lex in "Returns"? I know it was a horrible movie, but I thought he was good for the role.

You mean Kevin Spacey's impersonation of Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor?  Look, I'm not saying kevin spacey is a horrible actor, as he's actually very good if you give him a decent script to work with.  However, if you ever seen "There Will Be Blood" or "Gangs of New York", then you will see that Daniel Day Lewis is the epitomy of what Lex SHOULD BE in a film.  Power hungry, charming when it comes to dealing with the public, conceited, backstabbing, greedy, and highly manipulative.  Everything that Lewis did in those movies that I mentioned.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Spacey could've done a better job if they allowed him to make Lex into his own character, rather than ripping off Gene's version, but Lewis by far plays a better villain cinematically; something that the movies have lacked when portraying lex luthor.

1. drej2522 profile image83
            drej2522posted 6 years ago in reply to this

hmm...you may be right. You know they are totally going to revamp everything anyways, due to the Superman Returns debacle. And it does start with the villain. We will see.

yeah, that's true. I just wonder how it's going to turn out.  Although I'm rather sad to hear they're going to recycle the same villains again with Zod and Luthor in this reboot, but hopefully they'll use them in a different way than the last time, so it doesn't come off as a cheap knock off of "Superman II"

3. Mikeydoes profile image76
    Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago

If Crowe is in Superman, that will definitively make it much more likely that I will watch it.

I have not watched any to this point.

Really?  I thought everyone saw those movies. Then again, my ex-girlfriend once told me while we were dating that she never once saw a single movie of the original star wars, so go figure.  I guess it just goes to show you that even the most culturally significant films the stand the test of time will always get overlooked by someone.

4. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 6 years ago

Oh please, Russell Crowe, would do a great job playing anybody's daddy.  In fact, I think I've got just the part for him, playing my sugar daddy wink.

Well disturbia, I think any guy out there would love to be your sugar daddy. wink

5. optimus grimlock profile image56

lol, never seen a superman movie? thats crazy man crrrrrazy!

6. Alastar Packer profile image82
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

Those Superman movies were a joke to Brando. And they paid him a small fortune for what amounted to not much more than a cameo role in em. Crowe's the perfect choice for Jor- El in the latest re-hash.

Yeah, you're right about that point with Brando, as most people back then thought superhero films were a joke.  However, I think Crowe would do a great job playing Jor-El if this report turns out to be true, as he definitely has a lot of the same facial features that Henry Cavill has, and I think he could bring a fresh new take to the character.  Not saying that marlon brando's take was bad, but as the "dark knight" showed, you need to have an actor that's not afraid to make a character their own; in spite of how well the part was previously played by another iconic actor.

7. optimus grimlock profile image56

cavill has the same jaw line as heath ledger.

working