jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Remaking older movies

1. cjcarter profile image86
    cjcarterposted 5 years ago

What are your thoughts on all the movie remakes coming out? Between the new comic book genre and the old toys/rides that have been turned into movies, do you miss new movies that have original plot ideas? Any thoughts?

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I kind of like the comic book to movie things and stuff like that, but the just flat remakes are irritating. We finally got around to seeing True Grit a few days ago (yeah, I was late to that party). What a waste of money. John Wayne did it better forty years ago. Why did they even TRY to remake that? 

Let me answer my own question (lol). Because studios want to make MONEY. So they go with a safe bet, something that's already been done and successful before, rather than taking a risk on something new.

I think the real problem is that the people who can afford to make movies aren't story tellers, they are business people. They are good with spreadsheets and predictive modeling. Unfortunately, because it's their money backing the project, they want to have ANY say at all in what story is chosen and how the movie gets made. That's why they suck. We have bankers deciding what stories are told and how they are told. How can that possibly ever work out for us, the viewer? (Same goes for the publishing industry, which is why it is moribund.)

2. Daffy Duck profile image61
      Daffy Duckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do miss origional plots.  The remakes are usually not nearly as good as the origionals, especially if they try to remake a classic like "Planet of the Apes".  I only hope they don't try to remake "Spartacus" or "Lawrence of Arabia".

3. Obscure_Treasures profile image61
      Obscure_Treasuresposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just simply hate it...the old awesome movies can never be recreated becz it wont have that effect which it used to

2. 0
    thirdmillenniumposted 5 years ago

The new Omen almost made me smash the CD

3. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

It's not that people are running out of ideas, its just that writing is no longer something the big studios acknowledge as being necessary. They put all the money into special effects and overly promoting the film and then hire a functional illiterate to script it. No surprise that movies that follow such a formula most often thoroughly suck. There are still some good films coming out, but theyre fewer and further between because the big studios focus now even more narrowly on what they call guaranteed blockbusters. No doubt they drown out the quality of films released by the smaller studios who often have to make a decent movie because they rely heavily on strong, credible reviews to attract an audience.
    Since the year 2001, I can name a few that were original (as in not remakes) and were also in my opinion decent:
    Eagle Eye
    The Kingdom
    The Holiday
    Murder Set Pieces
    Hurt Locker