AMV's - should they be banned?

1. Bubblegum Senpai profile image85
    Bubblegum Senpaiposted 5 years ago

I read an article in my "local" paper about how YouTube has been pulling Anime Music Videos off the site (Although I can always find a whole bunch on Youtube, so I'm still not sure) because American Distributors of Anime have been crying Copyright Infringement.

I personally enjoy watching and making AMV's, so my question is this: Should they be banned? Do you like AMV's?

1. RachaelLefler profile image93
      RachaelLeflerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Anime Music Videos have been banned for using songs that the RIAA (which is a gigantic legal butthole) or one of the big media companies owns. The thing is though that people who make AMVs are a) not selling them for profit and b) taking the source material and arranging it with visuals in a new and original way, making something original from an old song is covered legally because parodies and cover songs are covered that way.

2. RachaelLefler profile image93
      RachaelLeflerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As for "stealing" the visuals from anime, they aren't distributing the work unaltered, and in altering it are taking the "copy" part out of "copyright". So, if you're not copying it, how are you infringing on copyright?

working