jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Does Anyone Like Mutiny On The Bounty

1. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

Both versions of Mutiny on the Bounty and The Bounty happen some of my favorite movies.  Of course Hollywood is not exactly accurate when describing the history behind the the events leading up to the mutiny on the HMAV Bounty, but each film has a unique take on the story.  The Bounty is the most recent and the most accurate film, but even it has certain errors.  Just curious is anyone else is a Bounty history fan or buff here on Hubpages. .

2. jonaitis profile image83
    jonaitisposted 8 years ago

Hi Sweetie Pie,
    I haven't seen these, but I saw the Simpson's spoof of it! I'll have to check these out--amazing casts. Brando in the 1962 version and Hopkins and Gibson in the 1984 one. How have I missed these??

3. SweetiePie profile image83

I love all the mutiny films for different reasons.  I even belong to a Yahoo group that discusses Bounty history, so I am very interested in the subject.  I read the Bounty trilogy, and historical accounts by Caroline Alexander and Glenn Christian.

4. jonaitis profile image83

How was the trilogy? I've heard good things about it, and I love the old sea-faring books like Moby Dick and Captain's Courageous as well as the contemporary history books like In the Heart of the Sea (the history of the whaleship Essex, which is super interesting if you haven't read about it!).

5. SweetiePie profile image83

The Bounty Trilogy was written by James Norman Hall and Charles Nordhoff who were both former US servicemen and journalists.  The pair traveled to Tahiti in the 1920's and wrote a series of travel essays about the South Pacific.  The pair also wrote many books together, but their most famous is the Bounty Trilogy.  Although there are many historical faults with all three of the novels, it is still one of my childhood favorites and the way in which I was introduced to this intriguing event in history.  More recently I have read Fragile Paradise by Glenn Christian, which is an excellent historical account of the events leading up to and after the mutiny on the HMAV Bounty.  I have not read the Essex as of yet, but I shall put it on my reading list as I do enjoy stories about old ships to some degree.  I also read Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook has gone before, which was written by the travel essay/historical piece by Tony Horowitz.  Blue Latitudes recalls the famous voyages of Captain Cook, and Tony with his friend Roger visits many of the locales where this famous sea voyager went before. 

I do appreciate how Bligh and Cook created many accurate navigation maps that were used for years after, but I must admit sea faring stories are not the reason I love the Bounty.  Many people on the Yahoo group about Bounty/Pitcairn history however do love ship history and visiting tall ships, but my interest in this story is more about the Polynesian women.  I am an avid student of South Pacific history/culture and love to read anything and anything about Polynesian culture.

6. kpfingaz profile image70
    kpfingazposted 8 years ago

Yeah I read the book at a young age and didn't see the movie til later on as a teenager. Love the story and interestingly the oldest breadfruit plant in the western hemisphere is in my country...one of the original ones from the Bounty was planted in what is now the Botanical Gardens of St Vincent/Grenadines so I have an even greater appreciation for the story just because of that.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
      SweetiePieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing that.  I still have yet to try a breadfruit and I really want to.

7. jonaitis profile image83

Thanks for the reading list! I will definitely have to check out some of these books and the movies. They sound really interesting.

8. SweetiePie profile image83

If you like tall ships I know the replica of the Bounty from the 1962 film Mutiny on the Bounty has been traveling around the world.  Some of the people from the Bounty group on Yahoo traveled on this ship for a few weeks, so I have heard interest in tall ships is very large smile.