jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

The most unnerving film you ever seen?

1. autumnstardust profile image60
    autumnstardustposted 4 years ago

Let me explain, by unnerving i mean absolutely disturbing. Like, you can't think of the movie without shuddering and you can't watch even 5 seconds of the movie. Because the movie is that traumatic.

For me i think it's A Serbian Film. Honestly, i don't think i found a more scarring movie. It's just so immoral and vile that i can barely watch the trailer.

1. diogenes profile image83
      diogenesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The most shocking film I saw was Alien Part 1, when the alien exited the crew member's stomach at the dining table.  I have seen it again, and it still has shock value.  But the only films I positively will never see twice or again are those showcasing animal cruelty or suffering.  Like "Mundo Carne," was it, of some 20 years ago and its sequel.

2. tswilson profile image61
    tswilsonposted 4 years ago

For me, it's Schindler's List.  Its most disturbing element is that fact that the Holocaust actually happened.  The unimaginable evil that can come from human beings is a sickening and frightful feeling that stays with you.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree plus Hotel Rwanda

3. 0
    juliafranceschiniposted 4 years ago

There's a film I like called The Piano Teacher. But the whole time while watching it I felt physically disturbed. Even after seeing the film, it still sticks with me. I don't consider this a bad thing though, I like when films can physically upset me without the need of pyrotechnics. The slow unraveling of a character and the camera that doesn't turn away from awkward moments.

The last scene of the film left me sad and confused. I still don't know what to think.

PS -- Black Swan is like a watered down version of The Piano Teacher. So if that movie disturbs you, definitely checkout The Piano Teacher.

OH, and I just saw The Skin I Live In. I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys films that make you uncomfortable. Again, like The Piano Teacher, its slow build up and ruthless characters makes you uneasy the entire time.

4. shogan profile image87
    shoganposted 4 years ago

It took me a long while to shake the effect of Cannibal Holocaust.  I wish it were possible to unsee a movie.

5. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 4 years ago

Don't Look Now.

If you haven't seen it, it's a classic.

1. WriteAngled profile image92
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Totally agree. This gave me nightmares for a long, long time after I saw it.

6. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

I thought the Killing Fields was really disturbing and very sad. I also thought Hard Candy was pretty disturbing, too. Oh, and Wolf Creek.

7. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 4 years ago

I cant rewatch "Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind"

But "requiem for a dream" is the most disturbing film ive ever seen. Im actually depressed for days if im foolish enough to rewatch it.

(incidentally, same director as Black Swan)

1. WriteAngled profile image92
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I assumed Black Swan was from the novella by Thomas Mann with the same title, which is quite disturbing. However, it seems I was wrong because I cannot find a screen version of the work.