jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Can Indie music artist really sell more than Major Label Musicians?

1. 61
    chantler411posted 4 years ago

What are your thoughts on indie singers versus major label recording artist?

1. Alecia Murphy profile image91
      Alecia Murphyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I took a popular music class my senior year of class and we talked a lot about major labels, the internet, and how music is evolving in the 21st century. That being said, most money isn't made from sold records because of all the dividends being paid back to the label and the artist's managers, agents, lawyers and so forth. What they do sell, gets their foot
      in the door. With the internet, promotion has become easier but face time is still given in top priority to major label acts who have powerful figures on their side as opposed to small indie artists. Another thing that's changing these days are major label acts who are established are now starting smaller imprint labels that are being distributed through their home label. For instance, Justin Bieber is mentored through Usher and his people which means he has an instant advantage to smaller acts without heavy hitters behind them. I think that if indie artists use the internet in a way to get their foot in the door in a clever way, then the other avenues of promotion will help them be on par with big label artists.

2. Daniella Lopez profile image86
      Daniella Lopezposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I prefer indie music... give me The Smiths, She and Him, and Radiohead and I'm a happy girl!

2. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 4 years ago

Labels are over-rated. There are plenty of good musicians on Last.fm, soundcloud, mp3.com and other indie music sites. I follow trance (and sub-genre ) on most of the indie music listening sites and i often found that they're much better than some of the artists who got label support behind them. Few such artists you can find on last.fm are - minister, airbase, philip alpha, Music Selector etc etc. One more point is that i don't like buying entire album of any particular artist because sometimes that artist produces only one or two good tracks so amazon or Juno's digital download option is better for me. Considering middle man in record label, i guess artists are losing more money with labels and associations. Not every artist is supposed to be Justin bieber or lady gaga. Sometimes best music needs launch, fans find their way for such music.