jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)

people are so closed minded and to easily offended

1. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago
    1. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Both funny and wrong. Such is life...

2. OutWest profile image61
      OutWestposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is cute and I am Jewish but I can see how people would be offended.  It is a bit in bad taste.  Just like if they said it was Chinese pricing.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

It just shows the level of ignorance in the world today. lol

3. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 5 years ago

Easily offended and closed minded?

Are you serious?

IMHO history has proven all the whys something like this is not ok.

New York is not a city that does not tolerate any form of Anti Semitism and rightfully so.

"We thought people would perceive [the billboard] as 'ha ha quirky,'" says Brian Gordon, who runs the company that designed Wodka vodka's billboard campaign. "But people perceived it as offensive, and because of that, we pulled it." Gordon, the New York Times notes, "was quick to point out" his own Jewishness.

I bet he was quick to point out his Jewishness it was probably the only defense he could come up with with his a@$ on the line. I wonder if his grandmother is proud of him today.

Chances are Brian Gordon in in the process of sending his unemployment request right about now.

Honestly OG - I find your OP to be somewhat offensive in that it seems to me that you think this sort of advertising is ok.

4. optimus grimlock profile image61

1st of all if its funny I'm going to laugh and thats the way it should be! I realize most people arent openminded enough or look at things the way I do but get a grip. I just think people need to not be so stand offish with stuff like this. Lets say it made fun of short people trying to reach something high I would still laugh or sctch/irish people are all drunks it wouldnt bother me. I except that you dont agree with me and if we were talking face to face I could explain my point of view better. The whole p.c. thing is nuts and it needs to stop!

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Agreed.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This isn't a 'pc' thing, its a belief and I don't think anyone has the right to knock someone else's beliefs like this.

I don't like the pc brigade either, but I don't think anyone has the right to make fool of a whole race.

3. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Howdy OG. How are you doing today?

Thanks very much for your link and for your comment above. Evaluating humor by your own reaction is understandable. Watching a person slip on a banana peal IS funny until you think about the resulting pain from a broken bone. You say a portrayal of Scots and Irish as all drunks is okay with you. This implies that you really believe that they are. Your opinion “the whole p.c. thing is nuts and it needs to stop” is from measuring your own feelings and reactions about some things. You have judged others for being “closed minded and to [sic] easily offended.”

However, P.C. is not about your feelings, it is about being sensitive and respectful of the feelings of others. Before starting to call it “Politically Correct,” society called it “Being Polite.” I don't think being polite should ever stop!

Again, OG, thanks for this very interesting thread and for sharing your views.

1. optimus grimlock profile image61
        optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm part scotch/Irish thats why the drunk comment wouldnt bother me. The main differance between Being polite and p.c. is with being p.c. you really have to watch what you say all the time because people are so easily offended. I think people need to learn to let stuff go instead of hold onto it. The joke lasts as long as it takes to tell it were the afthoughts make it last much longer! You can be polite and not p.c thats the way I look at it. I was reaised to be polite ans usally always am.

5. optimus grimlock profile image61

I just read this "Racism is genetic" in another post now thats ignorant!!!

6. Captain Redbeard profile image61
    Captain Redbeardposted 5 years ago

Why was it offensive? I don't get it? To be honest I don't get the reference either. Do jewish people have a tendency to be cheap or something?

Disclaimer* I honestly have no idea, not trying to start trouble.

Certain religions (yes, there are more than one) teach the practice of not wasting money. I, for one, happen to agree with them on that particular score. big_smile

1. Captain Redbeard profile image61
        Captain Redbeardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So they got bend out over being called cheap but they were ok with the implication that Christians are better by the whole, "Christmas quality" as oppossed to Jewish quality? If I were complain about anything I think I would complain about that.

There are no quality stereotype issues involved here, thus no intended joke. Then again, now that you made me aware, that poster could indeed be two-pronged. Very good point. Yep, the poster was a no-no.

7. LookingForWalden profile image59
    LookingForWaldenposted 5 years ago

Good comedy has the ability to make us laugh at the ridiculousness of stereotypes and racism, thereby reducing its power on society.
    Bad comedy, besides not being funny, just perpetuates stereotypes and racism, giving it power and merit.

working