jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

2 British Films worth Seeing!

1. DJ Funktual profile image85
    DJ Funktualposted 8 years ago

Death at a Funeral
    - The only American in it is little person Peter Dinklage.  Ewan Bremner a/k/a "Spud" from TRAINSPOTTING is too. 

The funeral for the patriarch of a wealthy but eccentric British clan is turned topsy-turvy when a stranger appears claiming to be the dead man's gay lover in this dramedy directed by Frank Oz and starring Peter Dinklage (as said "gay lover"), Matthew Macfadyen and Rupert Graves. The dysfunctional family grows wackier as the deceased's sons decide they can't let the rest of the guests get wind of this revelation. But can they get the cat back into the bag?

The best gag in the film surrounds a conservative guy Simn (Alan Tudyk) who is meeting the parents of his future wife.  He is accidentally slipped some acid and he tries to overcome this in some of the FUNNIEST SCENES ALL YEAR!!!  Trust me.  A winner.

Aging detective writer Andrew Wyke (Michael Caine) squares off against Milo Tindle (Jude Law), the struggling actor who stole Wyke's wife in this twisted -- and twisty -- plot of deception and double crosses. Kenneth Branagh directs a gripping screenplay by Nobel Prize laureate Harold Pinter, who stylishly updates the 1972 original -- in which an Oscar-nominated Caine played the Milo role opposite Laurence Olivier's Andrew. Double feature anyone?

Jude Law and Michael Caine battle it out!   I love these type of movies.  ALL SCRIPT BABY

2. jonaitis profile image83
    jonaitisposted 7 years ago

Both of these sound great! I heard good things about Death at a Funeral, but Sleuth is a new one for me. Dunno why with such big names attached--Pinter, Branagh, and Caine!! I will check these out--thanks for posting such great descriptions!

3. 0
    Adam Bposted 7 years ago

Some other good brit movies are Snatch, Lock Stocked and Two Smoking Barrels, Trainspotting and Rocknrolla. Sort of the same genre I guess.  Oh, and one of the funniest movies ever made...Monty Python and the Search fo the Holy Grail.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Hey DJ! I'd like to see those. I still haven't seen Sleuth even though Kenneth Branagh directed it.

5. kbdunn profile image60
    kbdunnposted 7 years ago

I loved trainspotting! Going to see death at a funeral

6. AshleyVictoria profile image61
    AshleyVictoriaposted 7 years ago

America is doing a remake of "Death at a Funeral."  British humor is crude, rude and totally understands the dark comedy.  I LOVED "Death at a Funeral."  Leave it to the British to put a live midget into a coffin with a dead man - hilarious!  Word is Chris Rock is starring in the American remake.  Interesting...

7. WHoArtNow profile image86
    WHoArtNowposted 7 years ago

If you liked trainspotting, I can recomend Shallow Grave too. Very dark but very good.

Starring a very young looking Ewan McGregor.

8. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

One of my all-time fave films is "The Crying Game". Has anyone else seen it?

1. Elena. profile image88
      Elena.posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have, LG.  Fabulous movie, first time I ever saw Forest Whitaker, that I'm aware of anyway.  I dig the guy ever since!

9. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 7 years ago

Lock Stock is one of my favourite films. Also, Dead Man's Cards is good, only because I'm in it as an extra lol