jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Natalie Portman speaks out Patty Jenkins dismissal from Thor 2

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

As some of you may know, Patty Jenkins was hired to direct the sequel to Thor after the Avengers.  This would've made her the first female director for Marvel Studios, but it wasn't meant to be.  As it turns out, she was dismissed by them for creative differences, so now Marvel is looking for a new director as we speak for "Thor 2."  However, this hasn't stopped Natalie Portman from voicing her concerns, as she's gone on record to say that she's very disappointed that Marvel Studios dismissed her like that, but she's still contractually obligated to be in the sequel regardless.  My questions to you all is this.  Does Natalie Portman have the right to be concerned like this?  Or do you think she's in the same position that Megan Fox was when she opened her mouth about Michael Bay, and that Portman would probably be better served just keeping her trap shut? 

Is Marvel Studios making a big mistake firing Patty Jenkins over creative differences on where to take "Thor 2?"  Or do you think it's really Patty Jenkin's loss?  Or do you think it's not really going to matter?  Please share your thoughts with us. big_smile

By the way, here's a link to find out more:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t … ins-272978

1. reagu profile image77
      reaguposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If anything, I'm curious as to what direction Patty Jenkins was going to take Thor 2 that was conflicting with the studio.

2. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 4 years ago

maybe this is a good idea because thor would of turned into a pansy and thanos would of had a dress on lol. (if you looked at some comics it looked like he had one on at times) I know she can direct smurfs 2 or any kate hudson movie smile

3. vmartinezwilson profile image84
    vmartinezwilsonposted 4 years ago

First off, I was surprised they would have such an inexperienced director helm what is to be a huge series.  Patty Jenkins has directed Monster and not much else.  For Monster, the emphasis was on the actor, not the director, so her style is not really determined.  She may have wanted to go too dark, which would not fit with the series (which will eventually include Iron Man and Captain America) as a whole.

I think Natalie Portman is arguing for a woman to be the director of a Marvel series more than she is the quality of director chosen.  That's a bad fight and she should probably keep her opinions to herself.  Will she go the way of Megan Fox?  I doubt it.  Natalie is an intelligent woman who gets her roles by being a stellar actor, not by washing a director's car in her bikini.

4. Nickalooch profile image83
    Nickaloochposted 4 years ago

I think the film will still be alright because for the most part the Marvel Studios have done a good job with their movies. They will probably take a director from Game of Thrones...which isnt a bad thing at all

5. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

I don't see a problem with Natalie Portman voicing her opinion. wink

6. gryphin423 profile image79
    gryphin423posted 4 years ago

I don't see any problem with Natalie voicing her opinion. Her name is associated with the project and she'll have to work with that person. I'm looking forward to it no matter who is directing it.