jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)

What are your great Christmas Movies?

1. leroy64 profile image80
    leroy64posted 5 years ago

I just got through watching "The Man Who Came to Dinner"; and, I realized it was one of those movies that I have to see around Christmas.

1. Cogerson profile image85
      Cogersonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Over the last few days I have been doing a serious of hubs that ask just that question....if you are interested you can check that out here.

http://cogerson.hubpages.com/hub/Final- … -in-Voting

I would say my favorite Xmas movies are Christmas Vacation, Love Actually and It's A Wonderful Life....with Elf coming close...it is the only Will Ferrell movie I like.

2. leroy64 profile image80
        leroy64posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I will check it out.

3. leroy64 profile image80

Great use of voting in your movie hubs.

1. gmwilliams profile image82
          gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The reason why I like the version of Scrooge with Albert Finney is because of its ominous and surreal tones.   I shall not divulge what the ominous themes are- just purchase it and watch!  Also Sir Alec Guinness is in the movie which makes the movie worth the watch!

2. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 5 years ago

Hands down, it would have to be, "A Christmas Story".

1. leroy64 profile image80

That's a good one.

3. Cliff Syringe profile image60
    Cliff Syringeposted 5 years ago

" A Christmas Carol", the 1951 version starring Alistair Sim is my pick.  For me it's the classic by which all others are measured.  "It's a Wonderful Life", starring jimmy Stewart and "A Christmas Story" are numbers 2 and 3, followed by "Miracle on 34th Street".

4. profile image0
    TrinityCatposted 5 years ago

For me, it would be "Home Alone" and National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation". big_smile

5. IJR112 profile image61
    IJR112posted 5 years ago

Love Actually is pretty good.

6. Cassie Smith profile image76
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

I'd put Elf up there.

7. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago

My top film is Alastair Sim as Scrooge. It goes by both Scrooge and A Christmas Carol.

I watch it every year.

Other movies I love to watch every year (some only film buffs will know) in no order:

Mircacle on 34th street
    Going My Way
    White Christmas
    Holiday Inn (hmm. a lot of Crosby...)
    Meet Me in St. louis
    The shop around the Corner

Other films I usually watch, but there have been years I have missed them:
    Christmas in Connecticut
    remember the Night
    It's a wonderful life'
    March of the Wooden soldiers
    The Muppet Christmas carol (the lone movie I love to watch made since I was born.)

Regarding The Man Who Came to Dinner.. I am embarrassed to admit as a Bette Davis fan that I still haven't seen it.

Scrooge(1951) I am not familiar with that movie....lol.  I am writing these movies down Flora for future reference.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Some you can find on TCM, others on AMC. And sadly, others do not air every year.

2. leroy64 profile image80

Let me know how you like it when you do see it.  It also stars Ann Sheriden and Jimmy Durante makes an appearance.  Your list has a couple of movies I need to check out.  One of them is the Muppet Christmas Carol.

8. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

I love all the versions of Christmas Carol from 1938 to the present time.   However, two favorite versions of this wonderful Christmas classic are Scrooge the 1970 version with Albert Finney and the telemovie with Kelsey Grammer.  I love those two versions the best.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My favourite TV versions are:
      overall: Mickey's Christmas carol
      full-length film - where George C. Scott plays Scrooge.

The most bizarre tv version? The Flintstones.

9. CarltheCritic1291 profile image87
    CarltheCritic1291posted 5 years ago

"A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott is (in my opinion) the best one, though I enjoy watching all of them (even the bad ones have a special place in my heart). In addition to "A Christmas Carol" there is also "A Christmas Story", "Elf", "Christmas Vacation", "A Charlie Brown Christmas", "A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas", "Sherlock Holmes" (yes I know it's not actually a Christmas movie, but it came out on Christmas so it counts:D), "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", "The Grinch" (even if no one else likes it), "Miracle on 34th Street" (The Original, the remake is okay, not great), "Earnest Saves Christmas" (guilty Pleasure), "It's a Wonderful Life", "The Little Matchgirl", "8 Crazy Night", and... I'm sure there's more but this is all I can think of for now smile

10. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

Scrooge with Albert Finney and a Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim are my favourites.  Also the original Miracle on 34th Street and It's A Wonderful Life are so much a part of Christmas.

11. mcrawford76 profile image90
    mcrawford76posted 5 years ago

Die Hard

It happened at a Christmas party right?

working