jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Classical Music in the 21st century

1. Ari Lamstein profile image78
    Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years ago

What role do you think classical music will play in the 21st century?

2. 0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

It will continue to be enjoyed by those who like it.  It may be a minority of people who appreciate it, but there will always be that minority.  I also think that as people age, they tend to enjoy classical music more.  Fashions in music come and go, but classical music remains.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I think it will continue to broaden and be incorporated more into pop culture as it has these last few years. It can't be so neatly classified as it once was into specific time periods like Baroque, Romantic, etc.
    We hear it everywhere, in tv commercials, dramas, movies. With the way music is produced now, familiar chords are included in pop songs, or specific instruments are added to give a classical touch.

I'm pretty sure it will continue to be enjoyed, and hopefully by more and more people of all ages and backgrounds. I wonder how many listeners really know the background of Carmina Burana when they hear commericals with O Fortuna! The words could have been written today in this century and yet were written in the early 13th century.

Classical music is inspiring and to hear it and see it performed live is exhilarating.

4. kesof-80 profile image59
    kesof-80posted 5 years ago

It is the grammar of all musical forms.

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love this - how beautifully and simply stated.

1. kesof-80 profile image59
        kesof-80posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks rebe....

2. kesof-80 profile image59
        kesof-80posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks rebe....

5. 0
    Derdriuposted 5 years ago

Classical music can be counted on to always be there for us. It has many young and established admirers and performers who are accomplished, energetic, enthusiastic, and increasing in numbers. It's benefiting from the growing encouragement to cultural diversity, particularly in the Americas, what with strong Iberian and Latin influences and input. Classical guitar seems like a particularly exciting field for 21st century classical music listeners and performers.

working