jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

'TVShack.com' creator extradited to the US for trial over piracy.

1. innersmiff profile image87
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so … e-16544335

There are a number of things worth debating with this case about the student who set up TVShack.com:
    1. Is his defence, that he is only linking to copyrighted content, just like Google does, a valid excuse?
    2. If he is guilty, is it right that he has to be extradited to the US?
    3. What does one do to deal with the wider issue of piracy? Or do we need to deal with it at all?

[Optional discussion: SOPA]

1. dannyhodge profile image74
      dannyhodgeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, for number 1, he is doing it manually, so he knows where the links lead to, whereas Google is automatic, and no member of Google says 'lets place this illegal site up there'.
      Although, i still don't think he should be penalized for it; as its the actual sites/uploaders of the pirate content that should be left with the blame.

2. Definitely not - our country, our law.

3. Just shut down the source websites; Pirate bay, etc - the owners of pirate bay have already been arrested a while back, but the site is still up and running. The user shouldn't be blamed for their actions if they are doing what the site is meant for, but neither should any site that is unconsciously uploading anything copyrighted, such as Youtube, which is supposed to just be media sharing - its users that upload anything illegal are in the blame at this point.

I sound like im contradicting myself there, but im basically saying stick to the websites purpose and you are fine.

2. Robin Oatley profile image88
    Robin Oatleyposted 4 years ago

I think Danny is making some valid points here. Though I have to say that The Pirate Bay isn't actually hosting any copyrighted material. They are merely hosting torrent files, which enables users to connect with each other to exchange specific files (which are often copyrighted). However, understandably, this is considered illegal in some/many countries as well.
    Recently they've started making the transition from torrent files to magnet links, which contain the same information. While torrent files have to be hosted, magnet links are merely a line of text. I guess this is an attempt to be less illegal. Or rather, an attempt to get prosecuted less often.

1. dannyhodge profile image74
      dannyhodgeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ah okay, i thought torrenting sites were illegal anyway?

1. Robin Oatley profile image88
        Robin Oatleyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not really sure about that, it is probably different in every country. But I can imagine it is, yeah. I guess that is the reason the pirate bay is transitioning to those magnet links. It's kind of a cat and mouse game, always trying to keep ahead of each other, always finding a new loophole.

3. 0
    icountthetimesposted 4 years ago

The UK US extradition treaty is very one sided: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradition_Act_2003 I hope he manages to fight off attempts to extradite him.