jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

What do you think about J.J. Abrams new take on Star Trek?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

Okay, I'm sure most trekkie fans probably saw the reboot of "Star Trek" with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, but I want to know what do you think of it?  Do you agree with the new direction they decided to take the franchise?  Or do you think that it poorly resembles everything that represents "Star Trek?"  What are your thoughts?

1. Nickalooch profile image83
      Nickaloochposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am by no means a "trekkie" but I really enjoyed Abrams take on "Star Trek". I thought the visuals were very good and the two main roles had great chemistry between the two. Both should be rising actors, and I think Pine is rising faster than Quinto, in my personal opinion I think Quinto is the better actor after seeing him on "Heroes" as the villain then on "American Horror Story" as an eccentric gay man. The guy can certainly play multiple roles very well.

Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago in reply to this

To be honest, I'm not much of a Trek fan either myself, but I did grow up watching "Star Trek Next Generation" and "Deep Space Nine."  However, I think one of the main reasons why Star Trek needed a reboot because it not only started to become predictable, but the story lines that intertwined with each other were so complex that it was starting to alienate any possibility for growth to acquire new fans.  This is why I happen to agree with J.J. Abrams take on Star Trek.  Granted, he did take a lot of liberties, but he did in such a way that didn't disrupt the continuity of the previous series, as the whole "creating a different timeline" schtick was genius if you ask me. 

Personally, I'm kind of curious where there going to go with the next movie, as there's a lot of possibilities.

2. Greek One profile image80
      Greek Oneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

3. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It was a bit of a cop-out to do the alternate universe thing so that they could forget about all the story-lines that went before, but it does open up a whole new...ermmm....universe for them to explore.

I'm sure a lot of old enemies will re-appear with twists on the original - I liked the cast, Kirk was OK, Scotty will grow on me, Bones is OK, Spock was very good - they need polishing up but I'll soon forget they are not the original.

The movie itself wasn't bad - it basically was setting up things for the next few movies and at that point I'll make judgement! As a fan of all Star Trek I at least commend them for trying - it was hard to see where another Star Trek movie (or series) could come from.

2. Nickalooch profile image83
    Nickaloochposted 4 years ago

Well I'm pretty sure i read that they cast some British actor from the television series "Sherlock" as Khan as the villain for the next film. Understandable to as they need someone to really push Kirk.

Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Really?  They're going to bring back Khan again?  That should be interesting.  I'm kind of curious to see how they'll portray him in the new version.

3. 70
    logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago

It's all gratuitous plastic crap meant only to milk money out of the name Star Trek.  It is not unique like the original series and it's spinoffs.  They are in it for commercial purposes only.

4. optimus grimlock profile image62
    optimus grimlockposted 4 years ago

I liked it, it did the originals justice. I loved pegg as scotty and bones had to grow on me! Looking forward to the next few movies just hopin they dont mess up khan since monteban was so great in the original.