jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Oscar Snubs for 2012

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

Okay, with the nominations already announced, who do you think got snubbed this year for the Oscars? 

By the way, I just wanted to let you all know that if you guys list a suggestion in this thread, then there's a possibility that I might link your profile to my upcoming "Oscar Results of 2012", which will be published a couple of days after the Academy Awards.  No, this isn't a self promotion plug, or anything.  I'm just letting you all know, as I'm only going to say this once.  However, the deadline to list snubs is February 27, at midnight (central time). 

Now, if you want to keep listing Oscar snubs for this year AFTER the deadline, then that's your business, and I certainly won't stop you.  However, it'll just mean that I won't link your profile to my "Oscar Results of 2012" hub. 

Serious suggestions only if you want me to consider linking your profile to it, as something along the lines of say..."Jack and Jill"...is not something I'm going to take seriously.  If anything, I'll just assume you're joking, as I can't honestly see how anyone would want that movie to be nominated for anything other than a freaking Razzie. Therefore, lets be serious with these suggestions people. 

And most of all, lets just have fun.

For those that don't know what or who got nominated, then click here to find out:

1. Cogerson profile image88
      Cogersonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I actually think they did a pretty good job this year.  But even when they do a good job somebody is going to get left out.  I thought Drive was outstanding and the performances by Ryan Gosling and Albert Brooks seem Oscar worthy.  Gosling seemed like a long shot...but I thought Brooks was going to get his second nomination.

Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Same here. I think it's a shame that Ryan Gosling and Albert Brooks got snubbed this year.

2. innersmiff profile image87
      innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We Need To Talk About Kevin, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Drive and Melancholia severely snubbed. And no 13 Assassins for Foreign Language...I wasn't expecting anything since it came out early in the year but it was the best foreign picture I saw. Also, why not nominate Senna for Best Documentary?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I have only seen one of the movies nominated and that was Midnight in Paris. It got nominations for best screenplay and best director.  I was happy Kenneth Branagh got nominated and Michelle Williams, I haven't seen My Life With Marilyn but have heard very good things about it.

Some are upset Bridesmaids did not get a nomination for best picture.

Yeah, I don't disagree, as that's a very good suggestion there.  smile

3. CarltheCritic1291 profile image85
    CarltheCritic1291posted 4 years ago

I really wished "50/50" was nominated for anything but at the same time I guess I saw it coming. "Bridesmaids", and "Ides of March" seem to be movies that many of my readers are upset didn't get nominated but oh well.

What categories did they think that "Bridesmaids" and "Ides of March" should've been nominated?  As for 50/50, I was surprised that movie didn't get a lot of love by the Oscars to be honest.  Heck, I was also hoping "The Conspirator" and "Drive" would've gotten a few nominations, but what can you do?

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

As long as "Man or Muppet" wins best original song, I'll be happy.

5. Steve Lensman profile image82
    Steve Lensmanposted 4 years ago

One of the biggest snubs was for Clint Eastwood's J.Edgar, I don't think it got any nominations, make-up maybe?

Eastwood makes these films especially for the Oscar-luvvies, in fact thats what he's been doing for the past 10 years if I'm not mistaken. So it must have stung a bit not to get noticed at all. I remember some people saying Di Caprio was the one to beat at Oscar time, ha!

Well if that's the case, Clint needs to just stick to making films that he wants to make as a filmmaker. After all, I seem to remember that Martin Scorsese made "The Aviator" for the exact same reasons, which was to win an Oscar.  However, looked how that turned out, as he didn't get an Oscar for that movie.  Therefore, I think Eastwood should stick to trying to tell deep stories that he's passionate about.  He's a great film maker, and I love how he's able to create character driven films that are very engaging to watch.  He shouldn't worry about winning an Oscar.  Sure, it's a great award to win, but there's more to being a great director than winning awards.