jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)

Do you love Leonard Cohen.

1. seanorjohn profile image82
    seanorjohnposted 5 years ago

He is the best. But Hallelujia was done great by some other guy. Guess who?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, Cohen was great.  Hallelujah was compelling. My fave, though, is "Everybody Knows"...
      Umm....I dunno who else you mean did Hallelujah that was great.   I think even Bon Jovi did it.  But wasn't "great" to me....

seanorjohnposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Uninvitedwriter guessed correctly. I was thinking of jeff Buckley's version.

1. profile image0

I found it online.  Not bad.  But really, nothing beats Cohen's gravel-voice! smile

Brenda, I agree. Leonard is the best but I was really impressed by Jeff Buckly's version of Hallelujia. However, His tortured version would have surely made leonard tell him " Lighten up mate, it is just theatre" No need to think it is worth dying for.

The great thing about Cohen is that he does not take himself too seriously. I love the guy and his works. He just gets on and does the business.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

He is still great. I saw him in concert once. He has a new album out. I prefer his version of Hallelujah. Jeff Buckley did the best-known cover I think.

He is a great poet, and a great songwriter and a great Canadian smile

1. profile image0

Oops I guess I put "was" great.  Didn't mean to make it sound like he was gone.  Cohen is still great, then! smile

3. Jonathan Janco profile image80
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

Cohen is great. Never seen him live but he is fabulous. I'm Your Man and Closing Time are my favorites.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image90
    PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago

I have seen Cohen live three times over the past 25 years.  He is great.  The Guardian are streaming a full preview of his new album at the moment, worth a listen: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl … NTCMP=SRCH

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Great, thanks smile

Uninvited, were we not lucky to get this link. I am useless at copying and pasting. My teenage daughter just showed me today and I have forwarded this link to friends.

Believe it or not, I used to write the bluey link thing out letter by letter. What an idiot, I have been. Did not realise how easy it was to copy and paste.
        My excBodyhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl … NTCMP=SRCH use is that I once ownedBodyhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl … NTCMP=SRCH  an Amstrad computer..... for too many years. Oh dear, things seem to have gone wrong on the bluey front.

2. seanorjohn profile image82

Thanks paul, I just listened to the first two tracks. Got to go into town now. Really looking forward to listening to the rest. The link you provided has some great extras, such as the Dorian Lynskey interview.

You have made my day. Will be sending this link to family and friends. A really big thank you to you.

3. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, thanks so much for sharing this link - I'm listening to Anyhow right now and it is terrific!  With Leonard's music the thing is you want the songs to last longer!  I play them over and over sometimes.  Also his songs translate to other voices, like Jackson Browne and Rufus Wainwright (who both have excellent versions of Hallelujah)  and also there is an album I found on Emusic that has a number of different artists singing Leonard's songs and some playing flamenco guitar versions of a couple songs - so incredibly beautiful.  His songs are so simple, and melodic as well as profound.  Yet he's just using the standard themes of love, loss and realization and simple words.  Really, I don't know how he does it, but he gets to me in a real good way!! (didn't mean to write a hub about it here, oh well)  big_smile

oh, and also there's a marvelous documentary about him - called "Leonard", I think.

5. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I've been in love with Leonard Cohen for over 40 years.  I remember exactly where and when it happened.  It was the first time I heard Suzanne.  I was very young and the lyrics seemed kind of moody and haunting to me. I wanted more of the same. I've been a fan ever since.

6. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 5 years ago

I found the music of Leonard Cohen a few years ago by listening to NPR Radio and watched UTube videos of him and purchased the CD, The Essential.I like the songs; First We Take Manhattan,Hallelujiah, and Suzaane. I am glad I found this wonderful man.

1. steveamy profile image61
      steveamyposted 5 years ago

on of the greats

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago

So, you are not talking about Mr Spock?

Thought you were, sorry.

What do you mean Izzy. MrSpock? And sorry about what? Genuinely puzzled. What does all that mean?

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm easily confused sorry, its an age thing. I thought you meant Leonard Nimoy.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6080599_f248.jpg

3. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
      Eliminate Cancerposted 5 years ago

Funny, I just posted So Long Maryanne on Facebook - that song was playing in my head!!

Yes, there are some strange coincidences that happened to me surrounding leonard lately.

4. TahoeDoc profile image97
      TahoeDocposted 5 years ago

I love Leonard Cohen too. Suzanne, Everybody Knows, Who by Fire...Oh, and Closing Time is very, very catchy. Now I need to go play some of these songs.

Thanks for the thread- made me smile.

working