jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Who should win Best Actor Oscar? Clooney or Pitt?

1. mhope324 profile image60
    mhope324posted 5 years ago

I want Brad Pitt to win, but everyone is saying this is George Clooney's year, but it would of been nice to see Ryan Gosling nominated.

1. Alecia Murphy profile image89
      Alecia Murphyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mhope, I agree with you about Ryan Gosling getting nominated. I didn't see Drive but it sounded like a unique concept. However, I guess some of the voters still want a little more. I don't think Brad Pitt will win. Sports films don't do that well during Oscar season and this one was even more unconventional so I'm not sure about that. I think if he wins it will be for a more traditional Oscar friendly film in the coming years.

1. mhope324 profile image60
        mhope324posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think you're right...Brad Pitt was phenominal in Moneyball, but I think Clooney will ultimately get the nod. Unless the Academy pulls an upset and give it to Dujardin for The Artist. Anyway, thanks for responding Alecia.

2. Marla Rose profile image85
      Marla Roseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think Brad Pitt should get the Oscar this year!  He has done some amazing movies over the last few years that the Academy has past him up for other notable actors.  I think it's time to acknowledge all the accomplishments of Brad Pitt both on screen and off screen with all the humanitarian work he does for other countries and New Orleans.  This is Brad's year!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think I agree with you on this. Pitt gets passed over because he's so good looking. I know this sounds off the wall but to whom much is given, much is expected. He came from nowhere, midwestern boy, whereas Clooney comes from Hollywood royalty. Not saying I don't love Clooney, too. But Brad needs a win because his rolls are so diverse. He takes chances. I think it's time for Hollywood to get over the Pitt Anniston breakup bias.

2. ElizaDoole profile image88
    ElizaDooleposted 5 years ago

Can't resist this thread.
    I hope Gary Oldman gets it for George Smiley in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. He is a screen veteran, and it is the first time he has been nominated.
    Other notable films are: (I haven't listed all 72)
    Sirius Black in Harry Potter
    Lt Jim Gordon in The Dark Knight/Batman Begins/The Dark Knight Rises
    Dr SMith - Lost in Space
    Ivan Korshunov - Air Force One bad guy
    Drexl Spivey - True Romance
    Dracula - Dracula
    Lee Harvey Oswald - JFK
    Joe Orton - Prick Up Your Ears
    Sid Viscious - Sid and Nancy
    He is always a solid performer, and George Smiley truly brought him out. Though you will mostly remember him as Sirius Black I expect. On a similar note, it would be nice to see Alan Rickman get a look in one day. Another super actor.

Is he the lead actor in Tinker?

3. mhope324 profile image60
    mhope324posted 5 years ago

Gary Oldman is a gifted actor. Every since I saw him in Sid and Nancy, I've been a fan. I also loved him in Rosencrantz and Gilderstern (sic) are dead...But I still personally believe, after seeing Moneyball, that Brad Pitt really should get it this year. George Clooney already won an Oscar, does he really need another one?

4. Kat915 profile image60
    Kat915posted 5 years ago

Neither!

5. fanfreluche profile image76
    fanfrelucheposted 5 years ago

I go for the underdog: Jean Dujardin. But I'd be very surprise.

6. ElizaDoole profile image88
    ElizaDooleposted 5 years ago

Yeah good point. The French hardly ever get a look in, despite coming up with some interesting cinema.

It's always pleasantly suprising when a foreign actor wins in Hollywood.

working