jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Rock drummers

1. sam209 profile image78
    sam209posted 5 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6092318_f248.jpg
    Is Ringo Starr an overrated or underrated drummer?

1. mvaivata profile image80
      mvaivataposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Probably just about right.  I certainly don't think that people have UNDERrated him as a drummer, but I don't think his fans are overstating his talent.

2. LewSethics profile image60
      LewSethicsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ringo sucks.

2. Adrian Lavelle profile image89
    Adrian Lavelleposted 5 years ago

Ringo Starr is is....that's a hard one. I saw somewhere once in a documentary how he kept an identical rhythm any time they played a song, they even did split screen comparisons with 'Ticket To Ride', I think it was, from when it was recorded to a time when they played it on a TV show before they split up, the drumming was identical in pace and timing...unlike bands today who can never keep the same tempo to songs when playing live...I know he hated playing live because he couldn't hear the music over all the screams, and I know when recording  the Sgt. Pepper album he said he was that bored from the lack of drumming on it that he learnt to play chess... So I don't know, I'd say just about right

3. steveamy profile image59
    steveamyposted 5 years ago

technically good -- not great but in every other way pretty amazing...a trailblazer.  Was Moon better - yes, Watts - yes etc.. but Ringo transcended the drum kit....and was far more of an icon...

4. sam209 profile image78
    sam209posted 5 years ago

Love your response! I believe Ringo never showed how good of a drummer he is as a Beatle. I personally believe he can hang with the best of them, if that was what he wanted to prove he could do. He kept it simple but did shine on several Beatle records. In my opinion, I think he's an underrated drummer and could've really let loose if the chance presented itself!

1. steveamy profile image59
      steveamyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

At one point it was fashionable to bash Ringo but that was pointless -- he had all the hits and a pile of money.... underrated..but the real question is -- what is the function of a drummer?   To lead  -- Keith Moon and to a certain extant John Bonham or to follow -- Ringo and Charlie Watts..

1. LewSethics profile image60

Thats right, Ringo made more money for doing less than any man in history.  Those of us that think that aren't trying to be fashionable, so there is no reason to insult people with differing opinions.
        You say he is not great but pretty amazing.  Sounds to me you don't know what you mean.

1. steveamy profile image59
          steveamyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

you are certainly entitled to your opinion.....

1. LewSethics profile image60

Thanks.

working