Who is the best guitarist?

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (49 posts)
  1. t.keeley profile image75
    t.keeleyposted 15 years ago

It's too subjective. There's also a multitude of criteria to consider. I can pretty much guarantee any pop musicians would not be on my list, however. I have yet to hear a phenomenal musician in either the pop or alt. country genre.

2. Craig P. Gill profile image60
    Craig P. Gillposted 15 years ago

Hands down.... Tuck Andress! Check out his Europa cover on YouTube and a very cool version of Michael Jackson's ( I know, I know) Man in the mirror!

1. profile image0
      CRANTELListheNAMEposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I COMPLETELY AGREE!
      My school went to see Tuck & Patti for a jazz competition a few months ago.  When he performs Somewhere Over The Rainbow you can't help but go numb everywhere and turn into jelly-that's how it is for me anyways.

3. Edwin Clark profile image60
    Edwin Clarkposted 15 years ago

I like Eric Johnson. I've been listening to Cliff's of Dover since I was a teen.  When it came out on Guitar Hero 3 I bought it just for that. Still would like to play it on a real guitar though big_smile

4. Jeromeo profile image61
    Jeromeoposted 15 years ago

PRINCE

1. What's News profile image64
      What's Newsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Prince Whaaaaaa? Thats a joke right? Page, Vaughn, or Van Halen

1. TheRealTruth profile image59
        TheRealTruthposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I can't say much as my vote would be for Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins. (let er rip) But don't discredit Prince. The dude is freakin amazing!

5. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

I'm sorry but Stevie Ray Vaughan beats all previously mentioned hands down.  The sounds he could make with a guitar were amazing, it's just a shame he was taken before his time.

6. JKSophie profile image70
    JKSophieposted 15 years ago

Eric Clapton, for me. smile

7. pjdscott profile image70
    pjdscottposted 15 years ago

It is a very subjective question but....

I can't believe we have had six postings and nobody has mentioned Jimi Hendrix.

What's the world coming to...?!!

1. B.T. Evilpants profile image59
      B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

In my humble opinion, Jimi was incredible, but Stevie Ray played many of Jimi's songs, better than Jimi.

8. tristaprez profile image59
    tristaprezposted 15 years ago

Wow, this IS a hard question...I don't think I can pick one.

Jeff Beck
    George Benson
    Jimmy Page
    Prince

9. profile image0
    Adam Bposted 15 years ago

As far as a put technical aspect I would have to say Michael Angelo Batio is the best guitarist.  That guy shreds better than anyone and makes some crazy sounds. 

I however like to think a guitarist is more than just his speend and technique.  I like a guitarist who solos with feeling...puts a little bit of soul in his solos and licks.

Angus Young has created amazing riffs and some outstanding solos, Dimebag has always been a "riff master" and then youb have guys like Vai, Satriani and Van Halen who were groundbreakers in thier own right. 

I have to say however that after seeing live footage of Hendrix at numerous concerts...he was the best.  Hendrix conveyed his heart, soul and passion through his guitar better than anyone else...in my opinon.

10. MadKow27 profile image59
    MadKow27posted 15 years ago

Jimmy Page

1. profile image52
      sahsimalapuramposted 15 years agoin reply to this

haiii   how r u dear friend ?????

11. rockinjoe profile image89
    rockinjoeposted 15 years ago

I'm going with Brian May of Queen. Originality alone. I think Jimmy Page is overrated and Hendrix (though a master) was probably best guitarist of his day. I was never a Prince fan until I saw him on TV in an extended guitar solo. The man is amazing. Eddie Van Halen shouldn't be overlooked either.

12. TravelMonkey profile image61
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

My dad, plain and simple.

Eric Clapton
    Santana

13. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 15 years ago

Eric Clapton gets my nod, but as you say it's pretty subjective and there are many great guitarists, but Eric is fast and clean, and can bend a sting 5 frets!!! Not many can do all that!

14. JollieOllie profile image62
    JollieOllieposted 15 years ago

I was watching a game show in australia and on it they had a list of the best guitarests.
    Try Googling it.

15. Earl S. Wynn profile image79
    Earl S. Wynnposted 15 years ago

In my opinion, Zack Wilde is the best, or the closest I've heard. He rocks (literally!)

16. FunFacter profile image53
    FunFacterposted 15 years ago

Eric Clapton is the best for me..

17. profile image51
    rinasings2uposted 15 years ago

eric clapton

18. kimback08 profile image60
    kimback08posted 15 years ago

i know that a vast majority of you are going to say vaughn or page, but i am going to cast my vote for jake cinninger from umphrey's mcgee.

19. mystarfinds profile image58
    mystarfindsposted 15 years ago

Stephen Bishop

20. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

Do keep the names coming and thanks for raising the question!  This is a very useful thread for me, as I have a best guitarists capstone hub series in production!  It's really useful to see people's suggestions, and while I've already done most of the ones mentioned (but not necessarily published as yet) I might even add some of them to the list.

21. Junkster profile image59

I have been asked by a (non-hubbing) friend to put forward Mark Tremonti.

Formerly of Creed but now lead guitarist for Alter Bridge.

Here's a fun fact: Former Creed frontman/jesus-freak/drunken fool, Scott Staap disallowed Tremonti to play guitar solos apparently because the guitar solo is work of the devil.

Just shows how crackers he really is as some of Tremonti's solos with Alter Bridge are awesome!

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'll take a look at Tremonti thanks - nice idea...

22. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

Clapton, Vaughn, Carlos Santana, and Mark Knopfler.

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Teresa I have hubs on 2 of these and the other 2 are partially finished!

23. Marble Venus profile image60
    Marble Venusposted 15 years ago

I have to say Mick Mars, Joe Perry, or (I know he's been mentioned) Brian May. None of them get the attention or credit they deserve.

24. Junkster profile image59

For anyone doubting Prince just watch his performance at the Superbowl half time show two or three years ago.  Performing Purple Rain in the rain with an impressive fireworks show in the background was amazing, plus he did a cover of Best of You by Foo Fighters, as well as a Tina turner cover as well. 

I haven't seen as good a performance at the Superbowl in ages, with Prince you get an immense sense of showmanship too.  That's vital for a good guitarist in my book

25. profile image54
    bradlyjhillposted 14 years ago

Im michael jackson Fan

26. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I think it would be Yngwie Malmsteen and Michael Angelo Batio ...sighs...smile

27. parkerk393 profile image69
    parkerk393posted 14 years ago

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN!!! And am I the first one to say BRAD PAISLEY!?

28. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Stevie Ray Vaughan was awesome wasnt he? also that cute Van Halen guy, wink lol

29. jdh351 profile image60
    jdh351posted 14 years ago

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

1. parkerk393 profile image69
      parkerk393posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes! David Gilmour is awesome!

30. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Leo Kotke is the best guitarist in my view.

31. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago
  32. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Earnest - yep - Leo Kottke would be in the top 5 for sure. (He doesn't sing because he reckons his voice sounds like a goose's fart on a foggy morning)

But I'll bet you've never heard of this guy, who IMHO is right up there with the best of the acoustic players.
    Andy McKee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4
    (over 20 million views on You tube for this song)
    Prepare to be blown away !

Cheers,
    Eric G.

1. earnestshub profile image82
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eric, you are so right! Andy McKee? Never heard of him till now. He is as you said, right up there.I love the way he plays the neck. Thanks for the heads up! I loved it!
      By the way Leo Kotke does sing on "Chewing Pine" and he is right about his own voice, it is very ordinary!

33. Tom Cornett profile image82
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Phil keagy according to eric Clapton. smile

34. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Also Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlDdzNuJto4
    where Andy McKee plays a harp guitar.
    (Pretty amazing instument. you can't buy these at your local music shop cool )

35. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

b.b. king, john mayer, vaughn, darrell raines (check him out!), (Les Paul maybe?), pete townshend

36. Silver Freak profile image61
    Silver Freakposted 14 years ago

B.B. King, Eric Clapton

37. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 14 years ago

I have another: Kirk Hammett of Metallica, best rock/metal band ever

38. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Although my older sister listened to him and I was a little person , I believe I have to say "Jimi Hendrix" of course he was wayyyyy before my time but historical nonetheless. smile

39. laringo profile image61
    laringoposted 14 years ago

Hands down, Jimi Hendrix..He was a legend in is own time..There are many other great guitarist too but he is my pick.

40. bill komissaroff profile image82
    bill komissaroffposted 14 years ago

Jimi Hendrix was simply amazing.  He gets overlooked because he was also very "showy", but he had amazing hands and did some incredible things.

Also very underrated is Pete Townshend, but his chord work broke new ground and he basically invented the "rhythm lead".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)